May 2, 2010, 9:30 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings have been the gold standard of hockey competence for about two decades and it sounds like they’ll be locking up two big reasons why they have been at that level for so long. Ansar Khan of MLive.com reports that the organization are expected to wrap up general manager Ken Holland and assistant general manager Jim Nill this summer.
How much do the Detroit Red Wings value having Ken Holland as their general manager? They’re prepared to extend his contract even though he still has one year remaining on it.
Red Wings senior vice president Jimmy Devellano told Booth Newspapers last week that Holland and assistant GM Jim Nill will be signed to extensions after the playoffs.
Devellano said of Holland, “That will all be handled after the season.No doubt about it, he’s a lifer.”
Holland, the Red Wings’ GM since 1997, said he hopes to remain in that capacity for the foreseeable future.
This news might bolster the rumors that Steve Yzerman is looking for a GM job elsewhere, possibly with the Tampa Bay Lightning. Losing an icon and possible budding hockey executive like Yzerman must be uncomfortable, but you cannot blame the Red Wings for sticking with what works. If anything, tonight’s game shows that their old faithful Swedes (Nicklas Lidstrom and Tomas Holmstrom) can still get it done.
You’d be hard pressed to find a better 13-year run for a GM than Holland produced since 1997 in any sport. This summer might be a big one for Detroit since Lidstrom and Holmstrom are free agents, so it’s wise that they’re maintaining their stability as much as possible.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)