May 2, 2010, 9:30 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings have been the gold standard of hockey competence for about two decades and it sounds like they’ll be locking up two big reasons why they have been at that level for so long. Ansar Khan of MLive.com reports that the organization are expected to wrap up general manager Ken Holland and assistant general manager Jim Nill this summer.
How much do the Detroit Red Wings value having Ken Holland as their general manager? They’re prepared to extend his contract even though he still has one year remaining on it.
Red Wings senior vice president Jimmy Devellano told Booth Newspapers last week that Holland and assistant GM Jim Nill will be signed to extensions after the playoffs.
Devellano said of Holland, “That will all be handled after the season.No doubt about it, he’s a lifer.”
Holland, the Red Wings’ GM since 1997, said he hopes to remain in that capacity for the foreseeable future.
This news might bolster the rumors that Steve Yzerman is looking for a GM job elsewhere, possibly with the Tampa Bay Lightning. Losing an icon and possible budding hockey executive like Yzerman must be uncomfortable, but you cannot blame the Red Wings for sticking with what works. If anything, tonight’s game shows that their old faithful Swedes (Nicklas Lidstrom and Tomas Holmstrom) can still get it done.
You’d be hard pressed to find a better 13-year run for a GM than Holland produced since 1997 in any sport. This summer might be a big one for Detroit since Lidstrom and Holmstrom are free agents, so it’s wise that they’re maintaining their stability as much as possible.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)