May 2, 2010, 9:30 PM EST
The Detroit Red Wings have been the gold standard of hockey competence for about two decades and it sounds like they’ll be locking up two big reasons why they have been at that level for so long. Ansar Khan of MLive.com reports that the organization are expected to wrap up general manager Ken Holland and assistant general manager Jim Nill this summer.
How much do the Detroit Red Wings value having Ken Holland as their general manager? They’re prepared to extend his contract even though he still has one year remaining on it.
Red Wings senior vice president Jimmy Devellano told Booth Newspapers last week that Holland and assistant GM Jim Nill will be signed to extensions after the playoffs.
Devellano said of Holland, “That will all be handled after the season.No doubt about it, he’s a lifer.”
Holland, the Red Wings’ GM since 1997, said he hopes to remain in that capacity for the foreseeable future.
This news might bolster the rumors that Steve Yzerman is looking for a GM job elsewhere, possibly with the Tampa Bay Lightning. Losing an icon and possible budding hockey executive like Yzerman must be uncomfortable, but you cannot blame the Red Wings for sticking with what works. If anything, tonight’s game shows that their old faithful Swedes (Nicklas Lidstrom and Tomas Holmstrom) can still get it done.
You’d be hard pressed to find a better 13-year run for a GM than Holland produced since 1997 in any sport. This summer might be a big one for Detroit since Lidstrom and Holmstrom are free agents, so it’s wise that they’re maintaining their stability as much as possible.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 10
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 5
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 39
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)