May 2, 2010, 9:30 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings have been the gold standard of hockey competence for about two decades and it sounds like they’ll be locking up two big reasons why they have been at that level for so long. Ansar Khan of MLive.com reports that the organization are expected to wrap up general manager Ken Holland and assistant general manager Jim Nill this summer.
How much do the Detroit Red Wings value having Ken Holland as their general manager? They’re prepared to extend his contract even though he still has one year remaining on it.
Red Wings senior vice president Jimmy Devellano told Booth Newspapers last week that Holland and assistant GM Jim Nill will be signed to extensions after the playoffs.
Devellano said of Holland, “That will all be handled after the season.No doubt about it, he’s a lifer.”
Holland, the Red Wings’ GM since 1997, said he hopes to remain in that capacity for the foreseeable future.
This news might bolster the rumors that Steve Yzerman is looking for a GM job elsewhere, possibly with the Tampa Bay Lightning. Losing an icon and possible budding hockey executive like Yzerman must be uncomfortable, but you cannot blame the Red Wings for sticking with what works. If anything, tonight’s game shows that their old faithful Swedes (Nicklas Lidstrom and Tomas Holmstrom) can still get it done.
You’d be hard pressed to find a better 13-year run for a GM than Holland produced since 1997 in any sport. This summer might be a big one for Detroit since Lidstrom and Holmstrom are free agents, so it’s wise that they’re maintaining their stability as much as possible.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 4
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 9
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 33
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)