May 2, 2010, 9:30 PM EST
The Detroit Red Wings have been the gold standard of hockey competence for about two decades and it sounds like they’ll be locking up two big reasons why they have been at that level for so long. Ansar Khan of MLive.com reports that the organization are expected to wrap up general manager Ken Holland and assistant general manager Jim Nill this summer.
How much do the Detroit Red Wings value having Ken Holland as their general manager? They’re prepared to extend his contract even though he still has one year remaining on it.
Red Wings senior vice president Jimmy Devellano told Booth Newspapers last week that Holland and assistant GM Jim Nill will be signed to extensions after the playoffs.
Devellano said of Holland, “That will all be handled after the season.No doubt about it, he’s a lifer.”
Holland, the Red Wings’ GM since 1997, said he hopes to remain in that capacity for the foreseeable future.
This news might bolster the rumors that Steve Yzerman is looking for a GM job elsewhere, possibly with the Tampa Bay Lightning. Losing an icon and possible budding hockey executive like Yzerman must be uncomfortable, but you cannot blame the Red Wings for sticking with what works. If anything, tonight’s game shows that their old faithful Swedes (Nicklas Lidstrom and Tomas Holmstrom) can still get it done.
You’d be hard pressed to find a better 13-year run for a GM than Holland produced since 1997 in any sport. This summer might be a big one for Detroit since Lidstrom and Holmstrom are free agents, so it’s wise that they’re maintaining their stability as much as possible.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)