May 2, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
We don’t have another Jordan Staal situation on our hands, as last night’s reports that Marco Sturm is out for the playoffs have been verified by the Bruins coach Claude Julien. Per the team’s Twitter page:
“Marco (Sturm) suffered a knee injury that will keep him out the rest of the year.”
While the actual injury hasn’t been revealed by the team, it appears that Sturm suffered a torn ACL in his right knee. The team states that it is unclear whether Sturm needs surgery or not.
It’s unfortunate, as yet another random and innocent looking play results in a severe injury. Sturm finished off what looked to be just another normal check, when his leg whipped around a bit.
The way he immediately went down and had to be helped off the ice showed what was likely to be knee injury, although no one could have guessed it would have been this bad.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)