May 2, 2010, 1:00 PM EST
We don’t have another Jordan Staal situation on our hands, as last night’s reports that Marco Sturm is out for the playoffs have been verified by the Bruins coach Claude Julien. Per the team’s Twitter page:
“Marco (Sturm) suffered a knee injury that will keep him out the rest of the year.”
While the actual injury hasn’t been revealed by the team, it appears that Sturm suffered a torn ACL in his right knee. The team states that it is unclear whether Sturm needs surgery or not.
It’s unfortunate, as yet another random and innocent looking play results in a severe injury. Sturm finished off what looked to be just another normal check, when his leg whipped around a bit.
The way he immediately went down and had to be helped off the ice showed what was likely to be knee injury, although no one could have guessed it would have been this bad.
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 7
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 83
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 74
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 65
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 46
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 77
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 170
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (170)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (83)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (77)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (74)