May 1, 2010, 7:10 PM EST
For hockey nerds like myself, it doesn’t get much better than Canucks versus Blackhawks. These teams are loaded with talent (Vancouver has those supremely bizarre Sedin twins! Chicago has Kane, Toews, Keith and Hossa!), but what really makes this series fascinating is the fact that the they truly hate each other.
To get you revved up for what might be the best series of the playoffs, here’s a look at what the newspapers and bloggers are saying about the two teams.
What Vancouver bloggers/papers are saying
Nucks Misconduct’s Game 1 preview is just full of goodies. My personal highlight is the side-by-side photos of Alex Burrows doing a bow-and-arrow goal with WWE wrestler Tatanka. (Tatanka was a Native American character and one of many examples of professional wrestling’s affection for broad ethnic stereotypes … and face paint).
Dani Toth also shares a nice Game 1 preview.
The Vancouver Province features three stories of note. First, the Blackhawks believe they can contain the Sedins. Secondly, the Canucks will need to shoot high against Antti Niemi. Finally, Roberto Luongo claims that he isn’t scared of the United Center, even though it’s been a house of horrors for the star goalie the last couple years.
Also check out the Vancouver Sun’s series preview.
What Chicago bloggers/papers are saying
Roberto Luongo isn’t bothered by the idea of having Dustin Byfuglien’s butt in his face for 4-7 games. Well, at least he claims that Byfuglien’s rear placement isn’t something unusual.
Finally, Jonathan Toews has no hard feelings toward Willie Mitchell. Why are people asking about their feelings toward each other? Check out the video from Mitchell’s brutal (but clean) hit from earlier this season.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)