May 1, 2010, 11:15 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins are just asking themselves for “bruise” related pun headlines. This afternoon, they saw Marc Savard – a guy who missed two months with concussion issues – score a game-winning overtime goal. With the way their season is going, it almost makes sense that they are dealing with another injury problem. The team will be without one of its few scoring wingers for the rest of the playoffs, as NESN reports that Marco Sturm is done for the year.
Sturm exited the Bruins’ 5-4 overtime victory against the Flyers in the first period after attempting a hit on Flyers’ defenseman Matt Carle on the boards.
Sturm went to the ice just 21 seconds into the game and could not get to his feet unassisted. He remained on one knee for a minute before a whistle stopped play. A trainer then came and helped him off the field, with Sturm favoring his right leg.
One important thing to note is that the Bruins have not yet confirmed this report. Still, Sturm is a very injury-prone forward so I wouldn’t be shocked if the news was dead-on. That being said, if it turns out that this report was inaccurate, we’ll let you know that Sturm might have a “lower body injury” and thus will only be day-to-day.
Oh, NHL teams, you are a bunch of rascals when it comes to injury reports.
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 0
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 1
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 19
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 12
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 22
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 32
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 45
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw