May 1, 2010, 11:15 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins are just asking themselves for “bruise” related pun headlines. This afternoon, they saw Marc Savard – a guy who missed two months with concussion issues – score a game-winning overtime goal. With the way their season is going, it almost makes sense that they are dealing with another injury problem. The team will be without one of its few scoring wingers for the rest of the playoffs, as NESN reports that Marco Sturm is done for the year.
Sturm exited the Bruins’ 5-4 overtime victory against the Flyers in the first period after attempting a hit on Flyers’ defenseman Matt Carle on the boards.
Sturm went to the ice just 21 seconds into the game and could not get to his feet unassisted. He remained on one knee for a minute before a whistle stopped play. A trainer then came and helped him off the field, with Sturm favoring his right leg.
One important thing to note is that the Bruins have not yet confirmed this report. Still, Sturm is a very injury-prone forward so I wouldn’t be shocked if the news was dead-on. That being said, if it turns out that this report was inaccurate, we’ll let you know that Sturm might have a “lower body injury” and thus will only be day-to-day.
Oh, NHL teams, you are a bunch of rascals when it comes to injury reports.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)