May 1, 2010, 11:15 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins are just asking themselves for “bruise” related pun headlines. This afternoon, they saw Marc Savard – a guy who missed two months with concussion issues – score a game-winning overtime goal. With the way their season is going, it almost makes sense that they are dealing with another injury problem. The team will be without one of its few scoring wingers for the rest of the playoffs, as NESN reports that Marco Sturm is done for the year.
Sturm exited the Bruins’ 5-4 overtime victory against the Flyers in the first period after attempting a hit on Flyers’ defenseman Matt Carle on the boards.
Sturm went to the ice just 21 seconds into the game and could not get to his feet unassisted. He remained on one knee for a minute before a whistle stopped play. A trainer then came and helped him off the field, with Sturm favoring his right leg.
One important thing to note is that the Bruins have not yet confirmed this report. Still, Sturm is a very injury-prone forward so I wouldn’t be shocked if the news was dead-on. That being said, if it turns out that this report was inaccurate, we’ll let you know that Sturm might have a “lower body injury” and thus will only be day-to-day.
Oh, NHL teams, you are a bunch of rascals when it comes to injury reports.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)