May 1, 2010, 11:06 AM EDT
[Update] Staal might not be out for the playoffs. Check here for more info.
Multiple sources are reporting this morning that Selke Trophy finalist Jordan Staal is done for the season after having surgery late last night to repair a severed tendon on the top of his foot. Staal was accidentally kicked by Canadiens defenseman PK Subban when the two collided in the second period of last night’s game.
It’s a tough, tough loss for the Penguins as they try to repeat as Stanley Cup champions, as Staal had emerged as one of the best defensive forwards in the NHL (hence the Selke nomination) and was one of the more reliable forwards on the Penguins aside from the firepower of Crosby and Malkin.
This is yet another example of the freakish nature of the injuries that happen in hockey, as it first looked to just be an innocent collision between two players. Yet you could see Subban’s skate whip around and catch Staal on the top of his foot, with his blade likely hitting on the one unprotected spot on top of the boot.
Staal’s injury is going to cause some interesting changes for the Penguins, as the team is now entering some new territory. Since coming to the NHL in 2006, Staal has missed just one game and has played in every single contest for the Penguins the past three seasons. He set career highs this past season with 28 assists and a plus-19.
- Risk Factors: Philadelphia Flyers edition 2
- Risk Factors: St. Louis Blues edition 9
- Ryan agrees to seven-year, $50.75 million extension 18
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 37
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (37)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Pittsburgh releases Daniel Carcillo from tryout (26)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)