May 1, 2010, 11:06 AM EST
[Update] Staal might not be out for the playoffs. Check here for more info.
Multiple sources are reporting this morning that Selke Trophy finalist Jordan Staal is done for the season after having surgery late last night to repair a severed tendon on the top of his foot. Staal was accidentally kicked by Canadiens defenseman PK Subban when the two collided in the second period of last night’s game.
It’s a tough, tough loss for the Penguins as they try to repeat as Stanley Cup champions, as Staal had emerged as one of the best defensive forwards in the NHL (hence the Selke nomination) and was one of the more reliable forwards on the Penguins aside from the firepower of Crosby and Malkin.
This is yet another example of the freakish nature of the injuries that happen in hockey, as it first looked to just be an innocent collision between two players. Yet you could see Subban’s skate whip around and catch Staal on the top of his foot, with his blade likely hitting on the one unprotected spot on top of the boot.
Staal’s injury is going to cause some interesting changes for the Penguins, as the team is now entering some new territory. Since coming to the NHL in 2006, Staal has missed just one game and has played in every single contest for the Penguins the past three seasons. He set career highs this past season with 28 assists and a plus-19.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)