May 1, 2010, 11:06 AM EDT
[Update] Staal might not be out for the playoffs. Check here for more info.
Multiple sources are reporting this morning that Selke Trophy finalist Jordan Staal is done for the season after having surgery late last night to repair a severed tendon on the top of his foot. Staal was accidentally kicked by Canadiens defenseman PK Subban when the two collided in the second period of last night’s game.
It’s a tough, tough loss for the Penguins as they try to repeat as Stanley Cup champions, as Staal had emerged as one of the best defensive forwards in the NHL (hence the Selke nomination) and was one of the more reliable forwards on the Penguins aside from the firepower of Crosby and Malkin.
This is yet another example of the freakish nature of the injuries that happen in hockey, as it first looked to just be an innocent collision between two players. Yet you could see Subban’s skate whip around and catch Staal on the top of his foot, with his blade likely hitting on the one unprotected spot on top of the boot.
Staal’s injury is going to cause some interesting changes for the Penguins, as the team is now entering some new territory. Since coming to the NHL in 2006, Staal has missed just one game and has played in every single contest for the Penguins the past three seasons. He set career highs this past season with 28 assists and a plus-19.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 9
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 15
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)