May 1, 2010, 11:06 AM EDT
[Update] Staal might not be out for the playoffs. Check here for more info.
Multiple sources are reporting this morning that Selke Trophy finalist Jordan Staal is done for the season after having surgery late last night to repair a severed tendon on the top of his foot. Staal was accidentally kicked by Canadiens defenseman PK Subban when the two collided in the second period of last night’s game.
It’s a tough, tough loss for the Penguins as they try to repeat as Stanley Cup champions, as Staal had emerged as one of the best defensive forwards in the NHL (hence the Selke nomination) and was one of the more reliable forwards on the Penguins aside from the firepower of Crosby and Malkin.
This is yet another example of the freakish nature of the injuries that happen in hockey, as it first looked to just be an innocent collision between two players. Yet you could see Subban’s skate whip around and catch Staal on the top of his foot, with his blade likely hitting on the one unprotected spot on top of the boot.
Staal’s injury is going to cause some interesting changes for the Penguins, as the team is now entering some new territory. Since coming to the NHL in 2006, Staal has missed just one game and has played in every single contest for the Penguins the past three seasons. He set career highs this past season with 28 assists and a plus-19.
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 23
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 9
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 15
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 11
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)