May 1, 2010, 12:50 PM EDT
It’s easy to see the five goals allowed on 20 shots — including four power play goals — and say that the magic that Jaroslav Halak enjoyed against the Capitals didn’t carry over against the Penguins.
The Canadiens were able to beat the Capitals not just with great goaltending but with stellar team defense. Both aspects disappeared against the Penguins and Halak was eventually pulled.
“I think it was us in front of him,” Gorges said. “If you look at the
goals, we deflected one in front of him, we turned over a couple of
others and gave them point-blank opportunities. Jaro has been
outstanding for us. We made plays that were uncharacteristic of us. And
the (Penguins) don’t make mistakes; that’s why they won (the Stanley
Cup) last year.”
It was interesting to see how the Penguins were able to so easily solve the team approach that was so successful against the Capitals. Halak certainly didn’t look sharp, but the great defense the Habs showed in the first round was nowhere to be found.
We’ll see Halak back out on the ice for Game 2.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)