May 1, 2010, 12:50 PM EDT
It’s easy to see the five goals allowed on 20 shots — including four power play goals — and say that the magic that Jaroslav Halak enjoyed against the Capitals didn’t carry over against the Penguins.
The Canadiens were able to beat the Capitals not just with great goaltending but with stellar team defense. Both aspects disappeared against the Penguins and Halak was eventually pulled.
“I think it was us in front of him,” Gorges said. “If you look at the
goals, we deflected one in front of him, we turned over a couple of
others and gave them point-blank opportunities. Jaro has been
outstanding for us. We made plays that were uncharacteristic of us. And
the (Penguins) don’t make mistakes; that’s why they won (the Stanley
Cup) last year.”
It was interesting to see how the Penguins were able to so easily solve the team approach that was so successful against the Capitals. Halak certainly didn’t look sharp, but the great defense the Habs showed in the first round was nowhere to be found.
We’ll see Halak back out on the ice for Game 2.
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 0
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 6
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)