May 1, 2010, 12:50 PM EDT
It’s easy to see the five goals allowed on 20 shots — including four power play goals — and say that the magic that Jaroslav Halak enjoyed against the Capitals didn’t carry over against the Penguins.
The Canadiens were able to beat the Capitals not just with great goaltending but with stellar team defense. Both aspects disappeared against the Penguins and Halak was eventually pulled.
“I think it was us in front of him,” Gorges said. “If you look at the
goals, we deflected one in front of him, we turned over a couple of
others and gave them point-blank opportunities. Jaro has been
outstanding for us. We made plays that were uncharacteristic of us. And
the (Penguins) don’t make mistakes; that’s why they won (the Stanley
Cup) last year.”
It was interesting to see how the Penguins were able to so easily solve the team approach that was so successful against the Capitals. Halak certainly didn’t look sharp, but the great defense the Habs showed in the first round was nowhere to be found.
We’ll see Halak back out on the ice for Game 2.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 5
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 33
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)