May 1, 2010, 12:11 PM EDT
It looks like our initial report that Jordan Staal was out for the playoffs after surgery on a severed tendon in his foot was a bit premature. We based the post on several reports from the Canadian media, including TSN and RDS. It appears someone jumped the gun and we apologize for any misleading information.
In any case, Penguins coach Dan Bylsma told the media today that Jordan Staal has not been ruled out of the playoffs and there is a chance he could return for the next round, if not sooner. It seems that hearing “surgery”, “foot” and “severed tendon” led to some assumptions that all three equaled a lost season for Staal.
While not having Staal on the team in the short term hurts, the prospect of having him back soon has to be uplifting for the team and the Penguins fans. It also seems that the players were a bit shocked this morning when asked about having Staal out for the playoffs, as they were told he could be back.
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 22
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17