May 1, 2010, 12:11 PM EDT
It looks like our initial report that Jordan Staal was out for the playoffs after surgery on a severed tendon in his foot was a bit premature. We based the post on several reports from the Canadian media, including TSN and RDS. It appears someone jumped the gun and we apologize for any misleading information.
In any case, Penguins coach Dan Bylsma told the media today that Jordan Staal has not been ruled out of the playoffs and there is a chance he could return for the next round, if not sooner. It seems that hearing “surgery”, “foot” and “severed tendon” led to some assumptions that all three equaled a lost season for Staal.
While not having Staal on the team in the short term hurts, the prospect of having him back soon has to be uplifting for the team and the Penguins fans. It also seems that the players were a bit shocked this morning when asked about having Staal out for the playoffs, as they were told he could be back.
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 3
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 17
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 78
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 35
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 60
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 114
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 62
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7