May 1, 2010, 12:11 PM EDT
It looks like our initial report that Jordan Staal was out for the playoffs after surgery on a severed tendon in his foot was a bit premature. We based the post on several reports from the Canadian media, including TSN and RDS. It appears someone jumped the gun and we apologize for any misleading information.
In any case, Penguins coach Dan Bylsma told the media today that Jordan Staal has not been ruled out of the playoffs and there is a chance he could return for the next round, if not sooner. It seems that hearing “surgery”, “foot” and “severed tendon” led to some assumptions that all three equaled a lost season for Staal.
While not having Staal on the team in the short term hurts, the prospect of having him back soon has to be uplifting for the team and the Penguins fans. It also seems that the players were a bit shocked this morning when asked about having Staal out for the playoffs, as they were told he could be back.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 6
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)