May 1, 2010, 10:45 PM EST
Things were not easy for the Chicago Blackhawks against Nashville, a seventh seed known mainly for grinding their way into the playoffs. So I had a feeling that things would be even rockier against the Vancouver Canucks and that clearly seems to be the case.
Vancouver Canucks 5, Chicago Blackhawks 1
Canucks lead series 1-0
Simply put, Roberto Luongo is on a mission. He made 36 out of 37 saves against a team that once bewitched him while the Canucks scored by committee to dominate the Chicago Blackhawks. On the other end, Antti Niemi struggled enough to get pulled from the game, but my guess is that the team would be wise to stick with the steady Finn instead of the “Fragile Frenchman” Cristobal Huet.
Vancouver must feel great about their collective game right now. Their offense is stout because the Sedin twins deliver in the clutch while the team produces additional offense from various sources. Luongo looked like the all-world goalie we’ve been expecting to see. His coming out party seemed to be in Game 6 of the Los Angeles series and it seems that he’s carrying that confidence over against Chicago so far. Maybe Vancouver’s defense isn’t elite at this point, but it seems as if their firepower and once-again amazing goalie are painting over that hole in a wall. If their considerable strengths on both sides of the ice don’t make you feel good about them, perhaps their impressive resilience during an epic road trip will. Anyone predicting a Canucks Cup victory must feel pretty cocky tonight.
Generally speaking, putting 30+ shots on goal is a good formula to “figure out your problems” so throwing the Blackhawks under the bus completely seems a bit hasty. That being said, a blowout in their own arena might remind Chicago that nothing is going to come easy.
Especially in this series.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 9
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 21
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 61
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)