May 1, 2010, 1:16 PM EDT
Perhaps the Flyers benefited more from a poor performance by the New Jersey Devils, rather than actually forcing the Devils into some bad play. After 20 minutes, the Boston Bruins are doing everything that the Devils failed to do in the first round, crashing the net and causing all sorts of chaos for the Flyers’ defense.
More importantly, they’ve been able to amp up the pace of the game to a level the Flyers are not anywhere comfortable to playing. Philly is at their best when the can use their forecheck and physicality to create chances, not skating up and down the ice trying to score off the rush.
Tuukka Rask has started knitting some socks in net, as he’s yet to be truly tested by the Flyers who seem content to just idly fire pucks from around 20 feet and then skate away.I can’t believe I’m typing this, but the only reason this game isn’t completely out of hand for the Flyers is the play of Brian Boucher — he’s made a number of big saves already.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)