Apr 30, 2010, 8:20 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals scored just one power play goal in 33 chances in the first round against the Canadiens, a puzzling part of the big reason why the top ranked team is no longer in the playoffs. There was doubt as to whether Jaroslav Halak and the Habs’ defense could stay that hot in the second round against Pittsburgh. Through 30 minutes of Game 1 between the Canadiens and Penguins, it’s beginning to look like either the Habs caught lightning in a bottle or the Penguins are just really, really good.
The Penguins have taken advantage of three power play goals to overcome an early 1-0 deficit, doing what the Capitals never could: solve the penalty kill of the Canadiens. The Penguins have used crisp and sure passing and some laser shots to overcome the shot blocking finesse of the Habs, and it’s paid off early.
Some other quick notes:
Marc-Andre Fleury has made a number of nice saves, but once again has found himself out of position on a number of occasions. The Canadiens should feel good about their chances for at least staying in the game if they can just put some pressure on the Penguins.
Sidney Crosby left the ice with a nasty cut on his chin after being high-sticked. He returned a bit later with stitches, never missing a beat on the ice.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (76)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)