Apr 30, 2010, 8:20 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals scored just one power play goal in 33 chances in the first round against the Canadiens, a puzzling part of the big reason why the top ranked team is no longer in the playoffs. There was doubt as to whether Jaroslav Halak and the Habs’ defense could stay that hot in the second round against Pittsburgh. Through 30 minutes of Game 1 between the Canadiens and Penguins, it’s beginning to look like either the Habs caught lightning in a bottle or the Penguins are just really, really good.
The Penguins have taken advantage of three power play goals to overcome an early 1-0 deficit, doing what the Capitals never could: solve the penalty kill of the Canadiens. The Penguins have used crisp and sure passing and some laser shots to overcome the shot blocking finesse of the Habs, and it’s paid off early.
Some other quick notes:
Marc-Andre Fleury has made a number of nice saves, but once again has found himself out of position on a number of occasions. The Canadiens should feel good about their chances for at least staying in the game if they can just put some pressure on the Penguins.
Sidney Crosby left the ice with a nasty cut on his chin after being high-sticked. He returned a bit later with stitches, never missing a beat on the ice.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)