Apr 30, 2010, 8:20 PM EST
The Washington Capitals scored just one power play goal in 33 chances in the first round against the Canadiens, a puzzling part of the big reason why the top ranked team is no longer in the playoffs. There was doubt as to whether Jaroslav Halak and the Habs’ defense could stay that hot in the second round against Pittsburgh. Through 30 minutes of Game 1 between the Canadiens and Penguins, it’s beginning to look like either the Habs caught lightning in a bottle or the Penguins are just really, really good.
The Penguins have taken advantage of three power play goals to overcome an early 1-0 deficit, doing what the Capitals never could: solve the penalty kill of the Canadiens. The Penguins have used crisp and sure passing and some laser shots to overcome the shot blocking finesse of the Habs, and it’s paid off early.
Some other quick notes:
Marc-Andre Fleury has made a number of nice saves, but once again has found himself out of position on a number of occasions. The Canadiens should feel good about their chances for at least staying in the game if they can just put some pressure on the Penguins.
Sidney Crosby left the ice with a nasty cut on his chin after being high-sticked. He returned a bit later with stitches, never missing a beat on the ice.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 21
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 21
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 66
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (133)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (66)