Apr 30, 2010, 8:20 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals scored just one power play goal in 33 chances in the first round against the Canadiens, a puzzling part of the big reason why the top ranked team is no longer in the playoffs. There was doubt as to whether Jaroslav Halak and the Habs’ defense could stay that hot in the second round against Pittsburgh. Through 30 minutes of Game 1 between the Canadiens and Penguins, it’s beginning to look like either the Habs caught lightning in a bottle or the Penguins are just really, really good.
The Penguins have taken advantage of three power play goals to overcome an early 1-0 deficit, doing what the Capitals never could: solve the penalty kill of the Canadiens. The Penguins have used crisp and sure passing and some laser shots to overcome the shot blocking finesse of the Habs, and it’s paid off early.
Some other quick notes:
Marc-Andre Fleury has made a number of nice saves, but once again has found himself out of position on a number of occasions. The Canadiens should feel good about their chances for at least staying in the game if they can just put some pressure on the Penguins.
Sidney Crosby left the ice with a nasty cut on his chin after being high-sticked. He returned a bit later with stitches, never missing a beat on the ice.
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 0
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 4
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (85)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights