Apr 30, 2010, 8:44 PM EDT
Two periods, two important players hurt and out of the game. The Canadiens lost Andrei Markov in the first period and now the Penguins have lost forward Jordan Staal to what looks to be a right foot injury after he was inadvertently kicked by PK Subban. The Selke Trophy finalist left the game after hobbling off the ice under his own power, but we’ve yet to get word on his status for the third period.
[Update] Staal will not be returning, either.
Speaking of PK Subban, the rookie defensemen got a quick lesson in transition defense as he became locked onto the puck as the Penguins crashed zone. Craig Adams skated in all alone, as the Habs were caught a bit in a change, and knocked home an easy goal off a great pass by Pascal Dupuis.
The goal was a quick answer by the Penguins, who slowed some momentum building by the Canadiens after Mike Cammalleri pulled the Habs to within 3-2.
Jaroslav Halak looks to be far from the game-saving, all-world goaltender from the first round but you have to give credit to the Pittsburgh Penguins. They’ve created their own space against the Habs’ defense and have taken advantage of the chances they’ve had, something the Capitals failed to do.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)