Apr 30, 2010, 8:44 PM EDT
Two periods, two important players hurt and out of the game. The Canadiens lost Andrei Markov in the first period and now the Penguins have lost forward Jordan Staal to what looks to be a right foot injury after he was inadvertently kicked by PK Subban. The Selke Trophy finalist left the game after hobbling off the ice under his own power, but we’ve yet to get word on his status for the third period.
[Update] Staal will not be returning, either.
Speaking of PK Subban, the rookie defensemen got a quick lesson in transition defense as he became locked onto the puck as the Penguins crashed zone. Craig Adams skated in all alone, as the Habs were caught a bit in a change, and knocked home an easy goal off a great pass by Pascal Dupuis.
The goal was a quick answer by the Penguins, who slowed some momentum building by the Canadiens after Mike Cammalleri pulled the Habs to within 3-2.
Jaroslav Halak looks to be far from the game-saving, all-world goaltender from the first round but you have to give credit to the Pittsburgh Penguins. They’ve created their own space against the Habs’ defense and have taken advantage of the chances they’ve had, something the Capitals failed to do.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 8
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 8
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 25
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 40
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)