Apr 30, 2010, 8:44 PM EDT
Two periods, two important players hurt and out of the game. The Canadiens lost Andrei Markov in the first period and now the Penguins have lost forward Jordan Staal to what looks to be a right foot injury after he was inadvertently kicked by PK Subban. The Selke Trophy finalist left the game after hobbling off the ice under his own power, but we’ve yet to get word on his status for the third period.
[Update] Staal will not be returning, either.
Speaking of PK Subban, the rookie defensemen got a quick lesson in transition defense as he became locked onto the puck as the Penguins crashed zone. Craig Adams skated in all alone, as the Habs were caught a bit in a change, and knocked home an easy goal off a great pass by Pascal Dupuis.
The goal was a quick answer by the Penguins, who slowed some momentum building by the Canadiens after Mike Cammalleri pulled the Habs to within 3-2.
Jaroslav Halak looks to be far from the game-saving, all-world goaltender from the first round but you have to give credit to the Pittsburgh Penguins. They’ve created their own space against the Habs’ defense and have taken advantage of the chances they’ve had, something the Capitals failed to do.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (59)