Apr 30, 2010, 8:44 PM EDT
Two periods, two important players hurt and out of the game. The Canadiens lost Andrei Markov in the first period and now the Penguins have lost forward Jordan Staal to what looks to be a right foot injury after he was inadvertently kicked by PK Subban. The Selke Trophy finalist left the game after hobbling off the ice under his own power, but we’ve yet to get word on his status for the third period.
[Update] Staal will not be returning, either.
Speaking of PK Subban, the rookie defensemen got a quick lesson in transition defense as he became locked onto the puck as the Penguins crashed zone. Craig Adams skated in all alone, as the Habs were caught a bit in a change, and knocked home an easy goal off a great pass by Pascal Dupuis.
The goal was a quick answer by the Penguins, who slowed some momentum building by the Canadiens after Mike Cammalleri pulled the Habs to within 3-2.
Jaroslav Halak looks to be far from the game-saving, all-world goaltender from the first round but you have to give credit to the Pittsburgh Penguins. They’ve created their own space against the Habs’ defense and have taken advantage of the chances they’ve had, something the Capitals failed to do.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 5
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 53
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)