Apr 30, 2010, 8:44 PM EDT
Two periods, two important players hurt and out of the game. The Canadiens lost Andrei Markov in the first period and now the Penguins have lost forward Jordan Staal to what looks to be a right foot injury after he was inadvertently kicked by PK Subban. The Selke Trophy finalist left the game after hobbling off the ice under his own power, but we’ve yet to get word on his status for the third period.
[Update] Staal will not be returning, either.
Speaking of PK Subban, the rookie defensemen got a quick lesson in transition defense as he became locked onto the puck as the Penguins crashed zone. Craig Adams skated in all alone, as the Habs were caught a bit in a change, and knocked home an easy goal off a great pass by Pascal Dupuis.
The goal was a quick answer by the Penguins, who slowed some momentum building by the Canadiens after Mike Cammalleri pulled the Habs to within 3-2.
Jaroslav Halak looks to be far from the game-saving, all-world goaltender from the first round but you have to give credit to the Pittsburgh Penguins. They’ve created their own space against the Habs’ defense and have taken advantage of the chances they’ve had, something the Capitals failed to do.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 18
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 48
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 35
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)