Apr 30, 2010, 11:40 AM EST
Hockey fans pining for the NHL return of that flowing mullet (or at least the great playmaking skill) of Jaromir Jagr might be out of luck. The Edmonton Journal reports that Jagr is likely to re-sign with Omsk in the KHL, killing the hopes of him returning to the Oilers or any other team in the league.
But Omsk general manager Anatoli Bardin said Jagr, who is ninth in NHL career points with 1,599, is close to deciding to remain in Omsk. Jagr reportedly made $8 million US for the past two seasons. His NHL salary here would probably be about half of that.
“Jagr will stay with our club. There’s no doubt,” said Bardin, denying there were mystery sponsors coming forward to lure him back.
Consider me bummed about this one. It’s hard to argue with Jagr’s decision to stay in the KHL since he may make double what he’d made in the NHL. That doesn’t keep greedy hockey fans from hoping he comes back to North America, though.
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 0
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 19
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 6
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 13
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 85
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (85)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)