Apr 30, 2010, 11:40 AM EDT
Hockey fans pining for the NHL return of that flowing mullet (or at least the great playmaking skill) of Jaromir Jagr might be out of luck. The Edmonton Journal reports that Jagr is likely to re-sign with Omsk in the KHL, killing the hopes of him returning to the Oilers or any other team in the league.
But Omsk general manager Anatoli Bardin said Jagr, who is ninth in NHL career points with 1,599, is close to deciding to remain in Omsk. Jagr reportedly made $8 million US for the past two seasons. His NHL salary here would probably be about half of that.
“Jagr will stay with our club. There’s no doubt,” said Bardin, denying there were mystery sponsors coming forward to lure him back.
Consider me bummed about this one. It’s hard to argue with Jagr’s decision to stay in the KHL since he may make double what he’d made in the NHL. That doesn’t keep greedy hockey fans from hoping he comes back to North America, though.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)