Apr 30, 2010, 1:30 PM EDT
Let’s take a gander at how some of the most noteworthy free-agents-to-be fared so far. Obviously, for players on half the teams, they won’t get another chance to show off their skills. Now let’s move on to the East. This might not be a comprehensive list, so apologies if your favorite pending free agent is left out.
Nicklas Backstrom – Loss or not, Backstrom was very effective at times with 9 points – trailing only Alex Ovechkin.
Jose Theodore – Didn’t make it very far in the playoffs. His regular season helped his career, but this didn’t.
Have you heard of that Jaroslav Halak guy? He might make himself a bit of cash this summer.
Carey Price didn’t do much to improve his value, but Tomas Plekanec had some nice moments as a pending free agent forward.
Ilya Kovalchuk’s career 1-8 playoff record must give some teams at least a little doubt. Unlike Kovalchuk, the steady Paul Martin will likely return to the Devils … but I could be guessing wrong there.
Not much to talk about with the Flyers, free agent wise.
Raffi Torres struggled to the point of being a healthy scratch, so that didn’t go well for him.
Mark Recchi has had a fantastic playoff run for a guy from prehistoric times.
Sergei Gonchar – 6 points and big ice time make Gonchar about as appealing a free agent defenseman as there is this year.
Alexei Ponikarovsky and Bill Guerin are serviceable but unspectacular.
Anton Volchenkov might see a pretty nice payday. Will it be with Ottawa?
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 23
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 9
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)