Apr 30, 2010, 1:30 PM EDT
Let’s take a gander at how some of the most noteworthy free-agents-to-be fared so far. Obviously, for players on half the teams, they won’t get another chance to show off their skills. Now let’s move on to the East. This might not be a comprehensive list, so apologies if your favorite pending free agent is left out.
Nicklas Backstrom – Loss or not, Backstrom was very effective at times with 9 points – trailing only Alex Ovechkin.
Jose Theodore – Didn’t make it very far in the playoffs. His regular season helped his career, but this didn’t.
Have you heard of that Jaroslav Halak guy? He might make himself a bit of cash this summer.
Carey Price didn’t do much to improve his value, but Tomas Plekanec had some nice moments as a pending free agent forward.
Ilya Kovalchuk’s career 1-8 playoff record must give some teams at least a little doubt. Unlike Kovalchuk, the steady Paul Martin will likely return to the Devils … but I could be guessing wrong there.
Not much to talk about with the Flyers, free agent wise.
Raffi Torres struggled to the point of being a healthy scratch, so that didn’t go well for him.
Mark Recchi has had a fantastic playoff run for a guy from prehistoric times.
Sergei Gonchar – 6 points and big ice time make Gonchar about as appealing a free agent defenseman as there is this year.
Alexei Ponikarovsky and Bill Guerin are serviceable but unspectacular.
Anton Volchenkov might see a pretty nice payday. Will it be with Ottawa?
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)