Apr 30, 2010, 1:30 PM EST
Let’s take a gander at how some of the most noteworthy free-agents-to-be fared so far. Obviously, for players on half the teams, they won’t get another chance to show off their skills. Now let’s move on to the East. This might not be a comprehensive list, so apologies if your favorite pending free agent is left out.
Nicklas Backstrom – Loss or not, Backstrom was very effective at times with 9 points – trailing only Alex Ovechkin.
Jose Theodore – Didn’t make it very far in the playoffs. His regular season helped his career, but this didn’t.
Have you heard of that Jaroslav Halak guy? He might make himself a bit of cash this summer.
Carey Price didn’t do much to improve his value, but Tomas Plekanec had some nice moments as a pending free agent forward.
Ilya Kovalchuk’s career 1-8 playoff record must give some teams at least a little doubt. Unlike Kovalchuk, the steady Paul Martin will likely return to the Devils … but I could be guessing wrong there.
Not much to talk about with the Flyers, free agent wise.
Raffi Torres struggled to the point of being a healthy scratch, so that didn’t go well for him.
Mark Recchi has had a fantastic playoff run for a guy from prehistoric times.
Sergei Gonchar – 6 points and big ice time make Gonchar about as appealing a free agent defenseman as there is this year.
Alexei Ponikarovsky and Bill Guerin are serviceable but unspectacular.
Anton Volchenkov might see a pretty nice payday. Will it be with Ottawa?
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 0
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 0
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 20
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)