Apr 30, 2010, 1:30 PM EDT
Let’s take a gander at how some of the most noteworthy free-agents-to-be fared so far. Obviously, for players on half the teams, they won’t get another chance to show off their skills. Now let’s move on to the East. This might not be a comprehensive list, so apologies if your favorite pending free agent is left out.
Nicklas Backstrom – Loss or not, Backstrom was very effective at times with 9 points – trailing only Alex Ovechkin.
Jose Theodore – Didn’t make it very far in the playoffs. His regular season helped his career, but this didn’t.
Have you heard of that Jaroslav Halak guy? He might make himself a bit of cash this summer.
Carey Price didn’t do much to improve his value, but Tomas Plekanec had some nice moments as a pending free agent forward.
Ilya Kovalchuk’s career 1-8 playoff record must give some teams at least a little doubt. Unlike Kovalchuk, the steady Paul Martin will likely return to the Devils … but I could be guessing wrong there.
Not much to talk about with the Flyers, free agent wise.
Raffi Torres struggled to the point of being a healthy scratch, so that didn’t go well for him.
Mark Recchi has had a fantastic playoff run for a guy from prehistoric times.
Sergei Gonchar – 6 points and big ice time make Gonchar about as appealing a free agent defenseman as there is this year.
Alexei Ponikarovsky and Bill Guerin are serviceable but unspectacular.
Anton Volchenkov might see a pretty nice payday. Will it be with Ottawa?
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 5
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 12
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 31
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 53
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 105
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (105)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)