Apr 30, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
Washington Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau’s results keeps improving in the regular season, but many questioned his job security after the Caps lost in the first round to the Canadiens. Washington Post reporter Tarik El-Bashir tracked down the team’s general manager George McPhee (affectionately called GMGM by many Washington fans), who claims that Boudreau will be around for a long time.
“Everybody has to take their full share of responsibility here,” McPhee said. “But I can’t lose sight of that we do have is a good team, it is well coached, we have good players, we had a good season. I can’t allow five or six days when things didn’t go well for us to skew what we think of this team, this organization and this staff.”
Pressed on his coach’s status, McPhee added: “Bruce is a really good coach. He’s a really good coach. He’s going to be here a really long time. No need to raise those issues because he’s not going anywhere.”
The NHL might be the sports league with the least job security for coaches and sometimes they’re given the ax when the guillotine should be over the general manager’s head instead. Still, there are instances that justify the occasional trigger-happy approach. The Penguins went from possibly missing the playoffs to winning the Stanley Cup largely thanks to the courageous move to fire Michel Therrien and replace him with Dan Bylsma.
All of that aside, I think Boudreau deserves another shot. Time will tell if he keeps it through the next bump in the road, though, as the “Vote of Confidence” is often a kiss of death for coaches and general managers alike.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 0
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 6
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 4
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 23
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 15
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)