Apr 30, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
Washington Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau’s results keeps improving in the regular season, but many questioned his job security after the Caps lost in the first round to the Canadiens. Washington Post reporter Tarik El-Bashir tracked down the team’s general manager George McPhee (affectionately called GMGM by many Washington fans), who claims that Boudreau will be around for a long time.
“Everybody has to take their full share of responsibility here,” McPhee said. “But I can’t lose sight of that we do have is a good team, it is well coached, we have good players, we had a good season. I can’t allow five or six days when things didn’t go well for us to skew what we think of this team, this organization and this staff.”
Pressed on his coach’s status, McPhee added: “Bruce is a really good coach. He’s a really good coach. He’s going to be here a really long time. No need to raise those issues because he’s not going anywhere.”
The NHL might be the sports league with the least job security for coaches and sometimes they’re given the ax when the guillotine should be over the general manager’s head instead. Still, there are instances that justify the occasional trigger-happy approach. The Penguins went from possibly missing the playoffs to winning the Stanley Cup largely thanks to the courageous move to fire Michel Therrien and replace him with Dan Bylsma.
All of that aside, I think Boudreau deserves another shot. Time will tell if he keeps it through the next bump in the road, though, as the “Vote of Confidence” is often a kiss of death for coaches and general managers alike.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 8
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 21
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40