Apr 30, 2010, 7:55 PM EDT
Hockey fans around the world drew a collective gasp as they watched Matt Cooke level another player with a big hit that left him writhing on the ice in pain.
This time, however, it was clearly a clean hit as Cooke caught Markov with a hard shoulder to shoulder hit along the boards, that sent Markov to the locker room with what looked to be a fairly serious lower-body injury.
Markov has been one of the top-minutes defensemen for the Canadiens in the postseason and was key in helping to shut down the high powered offense of the Capitals. We’ll update on his status when we can.
[Update] We’ve received word that Markov will not return to the game. PK Subban, time for you step up my friend. Again.
Here’s video of the hit:
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)