Apr 30, 2010, 7:55 PM EDT
Hockey fans around the world drew a collective gasp as they watched Matt Cooke level another player with a big hit that left him writhing on the ice in pain.
This time, however, it was clearly a clean hit as Cooke caught Markov with a hard shoulder to shoulder hit along the boards, that sent Markov to the locker room with what looked to be a fairly serious lower-body injury.
Markov has been one of the top-minutes defensemen for the Canadiens in the postseason and was key in helping to shut down the high powered offense of the Capitals. We’ll update on his status when we can.
[Update] We’ve received word that Markov will not return to the game. PK Subban, time for you step up my friend. Again.
Here’s video of the hit:
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 3
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 6
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 38
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 23
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)