Apr 30, 2010, 7:55 PM EST
Hockey fans around the world drew a collective gasp as they watched Matt Cooke level another player with a big hit that left him writhing on the ice in pain.
This time, however, it was clearly a clean hit as Cooke caught Markov with a hard shoulder to shoulder hit along the boards, that sent Markov to the locker room with what looked to be a fairly serious lower-body injury.
Markov has been one of the top-minutes defensemen for the Canadiens in the postseason and was key in helping to shut down the high powered offense of the Capitals. We’ll update on his status when we can.
[Update] We’ve received word that Markov will not return to the game. PK Subban, time for you step up my friend. Again.
Here’s video of the hit:
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 1
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 9
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)