Apr 30, 2010, 7:55 PM EST
Hockey fans around the world drew a collective gasp as they watched Matt Cooke level another player with a big hit that left him writhing on the ice in pain.
This time, however, it was clearly a clean hit as Cooke caught Markov with a hard shoulder to shoulder hit along the boards, that sent Markov to the locker room with what looked to be a fairly serious lower-body injury.
Markov has been one of the top-minutes defensemen for the Canadiens in the postseason and was key in helping to shut down the high powered offense of the Capitals. We’ll update on his status when we can.
[Update] We’ve received word that Markov will not return to the game. PK Subban, time for you step up my friend. Again.
Here’s video of the hit:
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 0
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 0
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 35
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)