Apr 30, 2010, 7:55 PM EDT
Hockey fans around the world drew a collective gasp as they watched Matt Cooke level another player with a big hit that left him writhing on the ice in pain.
This time, however, it was clearly a clean hit as Cooke caught Markov with a hard shoulder to shoulder hit along the boards, that sent Markov to the locker room with what looked to be a fairly serious lower-body injury.
Markov has been one of the top-minutes defensemen for the Canadiens in the postseason and was key in helping to shut down the high powered offense of the Capitals. We’ll update on his status when we can.
[Update] We’ve received word that Markov will not return to the game. PK Subban, time for you step up my friend. Again.
Here’s video of the hit:
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 4
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 6
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 7
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18