Apr 29, 2010, 4:00 PM EST
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that Steve Yzerman is on the “short list” of candidates for the Tampa Bay Lightning GM job along with former Canucks GM Dave Nonis and veteran executive Doug Risebrough.
Sources say the Red Wings have granted permission for Tampa Bay to speak with Yzerman, currently a vice president in Detroit.
Yzerman won’t comment on the possibility, although his interest in making the move now may be amplified by the fact Detroit will soon announce Ken Holland’s contract extension as executive vice president and general manager.
Dave Nonis, the senior vice president of hockey operations for the Toronto Maple Leafs is considered the frontrunner, although, if Yzerman, the executive director for Canada’s Olympic gold medal team, is genuinely interested in the job, that could change.
It seems like a matter of time before Yzerman gets a GM job somewhere. Yzerman is probably getting good experience with the Red Wings’ front office, but I do wonder if he’s ready for it. If Wayne Gretzky (and, for instance, Isiah Thomas in the NBA) showed us anything, star players do not always equal star executives or coaches.
Still, he hasn’t had his big chance yet (and might not still) so perhaps he deserves an opportunity to prove himself before people pass judgment.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)