Apr 29, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that Steve Yzerman is on the “short list” of candidates for the Tampa Bay Lightning GM job along with former Canucks GM Dave Nonis and veteran executive Doug Risebrough.
Sources say the Red Wings have granted permission for Tampa Bay to speak with Yzerman, currently a vice president in Detroit.
Yzerman won’t comment on the possibility, although his interest in making the move now may be amplified by the fact Detroit will soon announce Ken Holland’s contract extension as executive vice president and general manager.
Dave Nonis, the senior vice president of hockey operations for the Toronto Maple Leafs is considered the frontrunner, although, if Yzerman, the executive director for Canada’s Olympic gold medal team, is genuinely interested in the job, that could change.
It seems like a matter of time before Yzerman gets a GM job somewhere. Yzerman is probably getting good experience with the Red Wings’ front office, but I do wonder if he’s ready for it. If Wayne Gretzky (and, for instance, Isiah Thomas in the NBA) showed us anything, star players do not always equal star executives or coaches.
Still, he hasn’t had his big chance yet (and might not still) so perhaps he deserves an opportunity to prove himself before people pass judgment.
- Kopitar + adorable dog = best day with the Stanley Cup? 6
- With Dubinsky locked up, Jackets next task is re-signing Johansen 6
- Lightning sign Brenden Morrow for one year 31
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 39
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 27
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 72
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 35
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 171
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (171)
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration (72)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)