Apr 29, 2010, 4:00 PM EST
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that Steve Yzerman is on the “short list” of candidates for the Tampa Bay Lightning GM job along with former Canucks GM Dave Nonis and veteran executive Doug Risebrough.
Sources say the Red Wings have granted permission for Tampa Bay to speak with Yzerman, currently a vice president in Detroit.
Yzerman won’t comment on the possibility, although his interest in making the move now may be amplified by the fact Detroit will soon announce Ken Holland’s contract extension as executive vice president and general manager.
Dave Nonis, the senior vice president of hockey operations for the Toronto Maple Leafs is considered the frontrunner, although, if Yzerman, the executive director for Canada’s Olympic gold medal team, is genuinely interested in the job, that could change.
It seems like a matter of time before Yzerman gets a GM job somewhere. Yzerman is probably getting good experience with the Red Wings’ front office, but I do wonder if he’s ready for it. If Wayne Gretzky (and, for instance, Isiah Thomas in the NBA) showed us anything, star players do not always equal star executives or coaches.
Still, he hasn’t had his big chance yet (and might not still) so perhaps he deserves an opportunity to prove himself before people pass judgment.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)