Apr 29, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that Steve Yzerman is on the “short list” of candidates for the Tampa Bay Lightning GM job along with former Canucks GM Dave Nonis and veteran executive Doug Risebrough.
Sources say the Red Wings have granted permission for Tampa Bay to speak with Yzerman, currently a vice president in Detroit.
Yzerman won’t comment on the possibility, although his interest in making the move now may be amplified by the fact Detroit will soon announce Ken Holland’s contract extension as executive vice president and general manager.
Dave Nonis, the senior vice president of hockey operations for the Toronto Maple Leafs is considered the frontrunner, although, if Yzerman, the executive director for Canada’s Olympic gold medal team, is genuinely interested in the job, that could change.
It seems like a matter of time before Yzerman gets a GM job somewhere. Yzerman is probably getting good experience with the Red Wings’ front office, but I do wonder if he’s ready for it. If Wayne Gretzky (and, for instance, Isiah Thomas in the NBA) showed us anything, star players do not always equal star executives or coaches.
Still, he hasn’t had his big chance yet (and might not still) so perhaps he deserves an opportunity to prove himself before people pass judgment.
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 4
- East update: Red Wings eke out shootout win for key points 0
- Luongo continues to foil Schneider as Panthers damage Devils’ playoff hopes 3
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Backstrom to receive silver medal, IOC says Sweden doctor ‘made a serious error’ 28
- Pens lose Neal to concussion 57
- Here are the top 10 and bottom 10 goalies in even-strength save percentage 22
- Weekend preview: Flyers-Pens rivalry renewed, Bruins look to stay hot 12
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 4
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 26
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (57)