Apr 29, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
Gordon of the Globe and Mail says what everyone will be talking
about writing about today, this summer and likely all of next season
until he can attempt to disprove it: Alex Ovechkin has been
disappointing when his team needed him most.
Ovechkin is usually remembered for his bone-rattling hits or ripping
wrist shots off the goal post and in, but in the 2010 NHL playoffs, the
enduring memories will be of things such as blind passes, missed
attempts at holding the puck in on the power play, and wayward shots.
for all the plaudits the Washington Capitals winger has won for his
alluring mix of power, skill and personality – remember the sly shot
about Montreal Canadiens goalie Jaroslav Halak’s quaking hands? – he
will now face serious questions as to his ability to marshal his team to
Gordon goes on to say how Ovechkin has lost ground to Sidney Crosby
is the battle for the best NHL player of this generation and it’s tough
to argue with him. I’ve never been one to take sides in the Team
Ovechkin vs. Team Crosby debate, as I prefer to just sit back and enioy
what each brings to the game.
Yet after Crosby has appeared in two straight Stanley Cup finals, won
once and then scored the winning goal for gold in the Olympics, it’s
getting harder and harder not to say that Crosby has taken the next step
while Ovechkin has not. When it looked like the Penguins might stumble
against the Senators in round one, Crosby put the team on his back and
was the best player in that series as he lead the Penguins to next round
in the playoffs. Ovechkin, for whatever reason, has shown that when the
spotlight is brightest he falters.
I’ll have more thoughts on Ovechkin later.
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 9
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 34
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 30
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6