Apr 29, 2010, 7:02 PM EDT
One of the off-season coaching questions that came up after the Buffalo Sabres were eliminated from the playoffs was whether or not there would be any fallout from a semi-surprising failure by the third seeded Buffalo Sabres. Head coach Lindy Ruff has been with the team since the 1997-1998 season and some fans are getting anxious about continued failure. Those fans may have to sit tight for another year if they’re eager for change, however.
Buffalo Sabres Minority Owner/Managing Partner Larry Quinn announced today the Sabres have picked up the one-year contract option on head coach Lindy Ruff’s contract. Ruff is now under contract with Buffalo through the 2010-11 season.
Unsurprisingly, Ruff is winningest coach in Sabres history and in Ruff’s 12 seasons behind the bench, the generally salary-restricted Sabres have missed the playoffs just five times and have advanced to the Eastern Conference Finals four times, winning just once in the ill-fated 1998-1999 season when the Sabres lost to Dallas in the Stanley Cup Finals.
For those wondering about general manager Darcy Regier, he has one more
year left on his contract so it could be the last chance these two guys to get something done together and get the Sabres back to the Finals. That said, anyone expecting big changes from the Sabres based upon a disappointing first round loss aren’t too familiar with how the Sabres work as the last time they had any major upheaval in personnel was when former coach Ted Nolan was unceremoniously disposed of after winning the Jack Adams trophy as coach of the year in 1997.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)