Apr 29, 2010, 7:02 PM EDT
One of the off-season coaching questions that came up after the Buffalo Sabres were eliminated from the playoffs was whether or not there would be any fallout from a semi-surprising failure by the third seeded Buffalo Sabres. Head coach Lindy Ruff has been with the team since the 1997-1998 season and some fans are getting anxious about continued failure. Those fans may have to sit tight for another year if they’re eager for change, however.
Buffalo Sabres Minority Owner/Managing Partner Larry Quinn announced today the Sabres have picked up the one-year contract option on head coach Lindy Ruff’s contract. Ruff is now under contract with Buffalo through the 2010-11 season.
Unsurprisingly, Ruff is winningest coach in Sabres history and in Ruff’s 12 seasons behind the bench, the generally salary-restricted Sabres have missed the playoffs just five times and have advanced to the Eastern Conference Finals four times, winning just once in the ill-fated 1998-1999 season when the Sabres lost to Dallas in the Stanley Cup Finals.
For those wondering about general manager Darcy Regier, he has one more
year left on his contract so it could be the last chance these two guys to get something done together and get the Sabres back to the Finals. That said, anyone expecting big changes from the Sabres based upon a disappointing first round loss aren’t too familiar with how the Sabres work as the last time they had any major upheaval in personnel was when former coach Ted Nolan was unceremoniously disposed of after winning the Jack Adams trophy as coach of the year in 1997.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 20
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)