Apr 29, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
Team Canada added four players to its 2010 IIHF World Championships roster today: Ryan Smyth, Brooks Laich, Tyler Myers and Mike Del Zotto. TSN has the story on Mark Messier’s team assembling process.
Messier has been busy working the phones, trying to fill out his roster. He currently has 20 confirmed players — seven defencemen, 12 forwards and one goaltender.
Smyth is such a long-serving member of Canadian international teams that he’s earned the nickname “Captain Canada.” It’s kind of sad, then, that he didn’t take a spot on the 2010 Vancouver Olympics roster, but apparently the mulleted wonder doesn’t hold it against the program.
Unfortunately, Drew Doughty – however – will not be in a part of the team because of a wrist injury.
If earlier reportshold true, Smyth and Laich join a group of forwards headlined by Steven Stamkos, Corey Perry and James Neal. Myers and Del Zotto will be part of a blueline that also includes Brent Burns and Marc Staal. Chris Mason will be at least one of the team’s goalies.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)