Apr 29, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
Team Canada added four players to its 2010 IIHF World Championships roster today: Ryan Smyth, Brooks Laich, Tyler Myers and Mike Del Zotto. TSN has the story on Mark Messier’s team assembling process.
Messier has been busy working the phones, trying to fill out his roster. He currently has 20 confirmed players — seven defencemen, 12 forwards and one goaltender.
Smyth is such a long-serving member of Canadian international teams that he’s earned the nickname “Captain Canada.” It’s kind of sad, then, that he didn’t take a spot on the 2010 Vancouver Olympics roster, but apparently the mulleted wonder doesn’t hold it against the program.
Unfortunately, Drew Doughty – however – will not be in a part of the team because of a wrist injury.
If earlier reportshold true, Smyth and Laich join a group of forwards headlined by Steven Stamkos, Corey Perry and James Neal. Myers and Del Zotto will be part of a blueline that also includes Brent Burns and Marc Staal. Chris Mason will be at least one of the team’s goalies.
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 8
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 27
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 17
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 33
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)