Apr 29, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
Team Canada added four players to its 2010 IIHF World Championships roster today: Ryan Smyth, Brooks Laich, Tyler Myers and Mike Del Zotto. TSN has the story on Mark Messier’s team assembling process.
Messier has been busy working the phones, trying to fill out his roster. He currently has 20 confirmed players — seven defencemen, 12 forwards and one goaltender.
Smyth is such a long-serving member of Canadian international teams that he’s earned the nickname “Captain Canada.” It’s kind of sad, then, that he didn’t take a spot on the 2010 Vancouver Olympics roster, but apparently the mulleted wonder doesn’t hold it against the program.
Unfortunately, Drew Doughty – however – will not be in a part of the team because of a wrist injury.
If earlier reportshold true, Smyth and Laich join a group of forwards headlined by Steven Stamkos, Corey Perry and James Neal. Myers and Del Zotto will be part of a blueline that also includes Brent Burns and Marc Staal. Chris Mason will be at least one of the team’s goalies.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 10
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 4
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 33
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)