Apr 29, 2010, 5:30 PM EST
Team Canada added four players to its 2010 IIHF World Championships roster today: Ryan Smyth, Brooks Laich, Tyler Myers and Mike Del Zotto. TSN has the story on Mark Messier’s team assembling process.
Messier has been busy working the phones, trying to fill out his roster. He currently has 20 confirmed players — seven defencemen, 12 forwards and one goaltender.
Smyth is such a long-serving member of Canadian international teams that he’s earned the nickname “Captain Canada.” It’s kind of sad, then, that he didn’t take a spot on the 2010 Vancouver Olympics roster, but apparently the mulleted wonder doesn’t hold it against the program.
Unfortunately, Drew Doughty – however – will not be in a part of the team because of a wrist injury.
If earlier reportshold true, Smyth and Laich join a group of forwards headlined by Steven Stamkos, Corey Perry and James Neal. Myers and Del Zotto will be part of a blueline that also includes Brent Burns and Marc Staal. Chris Mason will be at least one of the team’s goalies.
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 4
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 6
- The Atlantic Division race is going to be fascinating 8
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 19
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 11
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 6
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 37
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8