Apr 29, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
Team Canada added four players to its 2010 IIHF World Championships roster today: Ryan Smyth, Brooks Laich, Tyler Myers and Mike Del Zotto. TSN has the story on Mark Messier’s team assembling process.
Messier has been busy working the phones, trying to fill out his roster. He currently has 20 confirmed players — seven defencemen, 12 forwards and one goaltender.
Smyth is such a long-serving member of Canadian international teams that he’s earned the nickname “Captain Canada.” It’s kind of sad, then, that he didn’t take a spot on the 2010 Vancouver Olympics roster, but apparently the mulleted wonder doesn’t hold it against the program.
Unfortunately, Drew Doughty – however – will not be in a part of the team because of a wrist injury.
If earlier reportshold true, Smyth and Laich join a group of forwards headlined by Steven Stamkos, Corey Perry and James Neal. Myers and Del Zotto will be part of a blueline that also includes Brent Burns and Marc Staal. Chris Mason will be at least one of the team’s goalies.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)