Apr 29, 2010, 8:45 AM EST
Dan Steinberg of D.C. Sports Blog does a great job of covering all
things sports related in D.C. (as you might guess) and I immediately
clicked on his site to see his reaction to last night’s loss by the
Capitals to the Canadiens.
He decided to enter the concourse after the game — a very brave
thing to do — and get the feel of the local crowd as they attempted to
absorb such a heartbreaking loss.
As you can imagine things
weren’t exactly happy among the fans, and while there were certainly a
number of purely disappointed fans it seemed that most treated the lost
with an air of disgust. Here are some exerpts:
“That’s the sound of 18,000 people vomiting,” Ben said, gesturing his
head back toward the emptying stands.
“I pledge to never be optimistic about DC again,” Alex Keckeisen added
on Twitter, and that was the night in nine words.
“Welcome to D.C. sports,” one of them, named Dylan, told me. “Same
thing, every year.” Or the guy whose eyes rocking red laser beams of disgust.
I’m not going to relay all of them, but he has a number of
interesting stories from the post-game letdown, covering how the crowd
gathered around donut stands who just started giving away all of their
extra product. Most troubling, however, was the story of one 17-year old
who was sporting an ice bag on his head after getting beamed with a
Crown Royale bottle that was hurled from the upper deck.
The fans were upset last night, and the haunted faces of the fans in
the stands are testimony to just how hard this city will take the loss.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 130
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 115
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (130)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (127)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (115)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)