Apr 29, 2010, 8:45 AM EST
Dan Steinberg of D.C. Sports Blog does a great job of covering all
things sports related in D.C. (as you might guess) and I immediately
clicked on his site to see his reaction to last night’s loss by the
Capitals to the Canadiens.
He decided to enter the concourse after the game — a very brave
thing to do — and get the feel of the local crowd as they attempted to
absorb such a heartbreaking loss.
As you can imagine things
weren’t exactly happy among the fans, and while there were certainly a
number of purely disappointed fans it seemed that most treated the lost
with an air of disgust. Here are some exerpts:
“That’s the sound of 18,000 people vomiting,” Ben said, gesturing his
head back toward the emptying stands.
“I pledge to never be optimistic about DC again,” Alex Keckeisen added
on Twitter, and that was the night in nine words.
“Welcome to D.C. sports,” one of them, named Dylan, told me. “Same
thing, every year.” Or the guy whose eyes rocking red laser beams of disgust.
I’m not going to relay all of them, but he has a number of
interesting stories from the post-game letdown, covering how the crowd
gathered around donut stands who just started giving away all of their
extra product. Most troubling, however, was the story of one 17-year old
who was sporting an ice bag on his head after getting beamed with a
Crown Royale bottle that was hurled from the upper deck.
The fans were upset last night, and the haunted faces of the fans in
the stands are testimony to just how hard this city will take the loss.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 9
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 40
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 19
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 18
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 35
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32