Apr 29, 2010, 8:45 AM EDT
Dan Steinberg of D.C. Sports Blog does a great job of covering all
things sports related in D.C. (as you might guess) and I immediately
clicked on his site to see his reaction to last night’s loss by the
Capitals to the Canadiens.
He decided to enter the concourse after the game — a very brave
thing to do — and get the feel of the local crowd as they attempted to
absorb such a heartbreaking loss.
As you can imagine things
weren’t exactly happy among the fans, and while there were certainly a
number of purely disappointed fans it seemed that most treated the lost
with an air of disgust. Here are some exerpts:
“That’s the sound of 18,000 people vomiting,” Ben said, gesturing his
head back toward the emptying stands.
“I pledge to never be optimistic about DC again,” Alex Keckeisen added
on Twitter, and that was the night in nine words.
“Welcome to D.C. sports,” one of them, named Dylan, told me. “Same
thing, every year.” Or the guy whose eyes rocking red laser beams of disgust.
I’m not going to relay all of them, but he has a number of
interesting stories from the post-game letdown, covering how the crowd
gathered around donut stands who just started giving away all of their
extra product. Most troubling, however, was the story of one 17-year old
who was sporting an ice bag on his head after getting beamed with a
Crown Royale bottle that was hurled from the upper deck.
The fans were upset last night, and the haunted faces of the fans in
the stands are testimony to just how hard this city will take the loss.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)