Apr 29, 2010, 8:45 AM EDT
Dan Steinberg of D.C. Sports Blog does a great job of covering all
things sports related in D.C. (as you might guess) and I immediately
clicked on his site to see his reaction to last night’s loss by the
Capitals to the Canadiens.
He decided to enter the concourse after the game — a very brave
thing to do — and get the feel of the local crowd as they attempted to
absorb such a heartbreaking loss.
As you can imagine things
weren’t exactly happy among the fans, and while there were certainly a
number of purely disappointed fans it seemed that most treated the lost
with an air of disgust. Here are some exerpts:
“That’s the sound of 18,000 people vomiting,” Ben said, gesturing his
head back toward the emptying stands.
“I pledge to never be optimistic about DC again,” Alex Keckeisen added
on Twitter, and that was the night in nine words.
“Welcome to D.C. sports,” one of them, named Dylan, told me. “Same
thing, every year.” Or the guy whose eyes rocking red laser beams of disgust.
I’m not going to relay all of them, but he has a number of
interesting stories from the post-game letdown, covering how the crowd
gathered around donut stands who just started giving away all of their
extra product. Most troubling, however, was the story of one 17-year old
who was sporting an ice bag on his head after getting beamed with a
Crown Royale bottle that was hurled from the upper deck.
The fans were upset last night, and the haunted faces of the fans in
the stands are testimony to just how hard this city will take the loss.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)