Apr 28, 2010, 10:53 AM EST
Courtesy of Alan Maki of the Globe & Mail in Toronto, we find out that one of the NHL’s awards is going to get a change done to it for the better. The Lester B. Pearson award for the league most valuable player as voted on by the players will now be known as the Ted Lindsay award. Maki tells us why naming the trophy after “Terrible” Ted Lindsay is significant.
Lindsay, now 84, helped organize the NHLPA in the late 1950s when he and a handful of others pushed the owners for a better pension plan and minimum salaries for first-year players.
If there were to be someone to best name the players’ MVP trophy after, there’s really no one better to choose considering that Lindsay was sort of like what
Lou Brock Curt Flood (ed note: total brainfart there) was to the players association in baseball. Lindsay was the guy that helped knock the wall down and stand up for the players in the league.
If you’re curious about who, exactly, Lester Pearson was, he was a former Canadian prime minister who once coached hockey at the University of Toronto. Obviously his importance to the players union was huge… Or the NHL was just sucking up to an important Canadian politician. The case for re-naming the NHLs awards is often made and while we’ve grown accustomed to and love many of the names, with the Pearson award being a relatively new one (first given out in 1971) naming it after someone more significant for those who are naming the winner of the award is a pleasant change for the better.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 19
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)