Apr 28, 2010, 11:15 AM EDT
TSN is reporting today that the Toronto Maple Leafs have signed free
agent goaltender Ben Scrivens to a one-year, entry level contract.
Scrivens was a college free agent who played four years with Cornell,
and after a statistically impressive senior year (21-9-4, 0.934 save
percentage) there was no doubt he’d sign with an NHL team.
the Maple Leafs having Jonas Gustavsson, J.S. Giguere, and Jussi Rynnas
under contract for next season, Scrivens is expected to compete for a
job with the Marlies of the AHL.
Don’t let his impressive numbers
fool you; there’s a worry that he is a product of a system and won’t
exactly dominate at the next level. Still, not having the pressure to
perform right away, even at the AHL level, could make the transition a
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 12
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 36
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 31
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6