Apr 28, 2010, 11:15 AM EDT
TSN is reporting today that the Toronto Maple Leafs have signed free
agent goaltender Ben Scrivens to a one-year, entry level contract.
Scrivens was a college free agent who played four years with Cornell,
and after a statistically impressive senior year (21-9-4, 0.934 save
percentage) there was no doubt he’d sign with an NHL team.
the Maple Leafs having Jonas Gustavsson, J.S. Giguere, and Jussi Rynnas
under contract for next season, Scrivens is expected to compete for a
job with the Marlies of the AHL.
Don’t let his impressive numbers
fool you; there’s a worry that he is a product of a system and won’t
exactly dominate at the next level. Still, not having the pressure to
perform right away, even at the AHL level, could make the transition a
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 32
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10