Apr 28, 2010, 8:37 PM EST
The Washington Capitals are 20 minutes away from an unceremonious end to what was supposed to be their greatest season ever. As usual, Washington is out-shooting Montreal, this time 24-11 through two periods. Despite all those shots, it seems like the Canadiens are willing to go that extra mile with conservative defense and plenty of shot blocking.
Still, one goal is chump change for the Capitals – even if their tentative powerplay is at the Nashville Predators level of putridity. I asked Joe for some thoughts and he pointed out that the Capitals are playing tentative hockey “and want things to come easy and it’s just not happening that way.” It’s difficult to argue with that point.
Don’t discount the Jaroslav Halak factor, though. He’s now allowed 2 goals in his last 8 periods and on more than 110 shots. Something tells me the man might be rich once July rolls around.
(For the record, Marc Andre Bergeron scored the game’s only go so far. It was a powerplay tally during a 4-on-3 powerplay.)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 32
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 1
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 16
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 27
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)