Apr 28, 2010, 8:37 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals are 20 minutes away from an unceremonious end to what was supposed to be their greatest season ever. As usual, Washington is out-shooting Montreal, this time 24-11 through two periods. Despite all those shots, it seems like the Canadiens are willing to go that extra mile with conservative defense and plenty of shot blocking.
Still, one goal is chump change for the Capitals – even if their tentative powerplay is at the Nashville Predators level of putridity. I asked Joe for some thoughts and he pointed out that the Capitals are playing tentative hockey “and want things to come easy and it’s just not happening that way.” It’s difficult to argue with that point.
Don’t discount the Jaroslav Halak factor, though. He’s now allowed 2 goals in his last 8 periods and on more than 110 shots. Something tells me the man might be rich once July rolls around.
(For the record, Marc Andre Bergeron scored the game’s only go so far. It was a powerplay tally during a 4-on-3 powerplay.)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 36
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)