Apr 28, 2010, 8:37 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals are 20 minutes away from an unceremonious end to what was supposed to be their greatest season ever. As usual, Washington is out-shooting Montreal, this time 24-11 through two periods. Despite all those shots, it seems like the Canadiens are willing to go that extra mile with conservative defense and plenty of shot blocking.
Still, one goal is chump change for the Capitals – even if their tentative powerplay is at the Nashville Predators level of putridity. I asked Joe for some thoughts and he pointed out that the Capitals are playing tentative hockey “and want things to come easy and it’s just not happening that way.” It’s difficult to argue with that point.
Don’t discount the Jaroslav Halak factor, though. He’s now allowed 2 goals in his last 8 periods and on more than 110 shots. Something tells me the man might be rich once July rolls around.
(For the record, Marc Andre Bergeron scored the game’s only go so far. It was a powerplay tally during a 4-on-3 powerplay.)
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 0
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 3
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 9
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 8
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 17
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (51)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)