Apr 28, 2010, 8:37 PM EST
The Washington Capitals are 20 minutes away from an unceremonious end to what was supposed to be their greatest season ever. As usual, Washington is out-shooting Montreal, this time 24-11 through two periods. Despite all those shots, it seems like the Canadiens are willing to go that extra mile with conservative defense and plenty of shot blocking.
Still, one goal is chump change for the Capitals – even if their tentative powerplay is at the Nashville Predators level of putridity. I asked Joe for some thoughts and he pointed out that the Capitals are playing tentative hockey “and want things to come easy and it’s just not happening that way.” It’s difficult to argue with that point.
Don’t discount the Jaroslav Halak factor, though. He’s now allowed 2 goals in his last 8 periods and on more than 110 shots. Something tells me the man might be rich once July rolls around.
(For the record, Marc Andre Bergeron scored the game’s only go so far. It was a powerplay tally during a 4-on-3 powerplay.)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 0
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (81)