Apr 27, 2010, 9:43 PM EST
Whether he helps his team win tonight’s Game 7 against Phoenix or not is still yet to be decided, but when Sports Illustrated asked the NHL players who they thought was the top “shut down” defenseman in the league was, Nicklas Lidstrom was their top choice.
By carrying 25% of the vote amongst 272 players polled, Lidstrom was named the top choice of the league’s players. Boston’s Zdeno Chara was right behind him with 23% of the vote. Nashville’s Shea Weber was third with 10%, Philly’s Chris Pronger was fourth with 9% and Scott Niedermayer was fifth with 7% of the vote.
If you’re curious about how everyone’s favorite defenseman to either yell for or about did, Mike Green received just one vote. A poll like this will likely do little to subside the heat coming from the Red Wings fanatics on the Internet who went ape over Lidstrom not being named as a Norris trophy finalist this year, but they can at least hang their hat on this.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)