Apr 27, 2010, 9:43 PM EDT
Whether he helps his team win tonight’s Game 7 against Phoenix or not is still yet to be decided, but when Sports Illustrated asked the NHL players who they thought was the top “shut down” defenseman in the league was, Nicklas Lidstrom was their top choice.
By carrying 25% of the vote amongst 272 players polled, Lidstrom was named the top choice of the league’s players. Boston’s Zdeno Chara was right behind him with 23% of the vote. Nashville’s Shea Weber was third with 10%, Philly’s Chris Pronger was fourth with 9% and Scott Niedermayer was fifth with 7% of the vote.
If you’re curious about how everyone’s favorite defenseman to either yell for or about did, Mike Green received just one vote. A poll like this will likely do little to subside the heat coming from the Red Wings fanatics on the Internet who went ape over Lidstrom not being named as a Norris trophy finalist this year, but they can at least hang their hat on this.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)