Apr 27, 2010, 1:33 PM EST
Even though yesterday we reported that the Blue Jackets would be
offering Ken Hitchcock a front-office position, you knew his name would
come up in the conversation for the vacant coaching position in New
Jersey. After all, when you think of what coach best personifies the
system the Devils have been using for years and years you keep coming
back to Ken Hitchcock.
It could, in fact, be a perfect fit. Hitchcock’s coaching philosophy
is not unlike that which the Devils have adopted for over a decade. He
is respected and won a Stanley Cup with the Dallas Stars in 1999, where
he coached current Devils captain Jamie Langenbrunner.
It’s important to note that Lou Lamoriello has stated he has not come
anywhere near starting his coaching search, although it’s entirely
possible that the job finally goes to AHL coach John MacLean.
“No question John would be a candidate,” Lamoriello said. “No
he did an exceptional job in Lowell this year.
“It was the right decision for him to go there and have a team and
see what it’s like to make certain decisions rather than recommend or
support. There is no question, with his maturity and growth as a coach,
Lowell was very good for him.”
As much as a great fit that Hitchcock may or may not be in New
Jersey, you just get the feeling that perhaps it’s time for some new
blood in the coaching ranks. Should the Devils stick with these old
school coaches who have struggles with success in the post-lockout NHL,
or go with a younger coach with new ideas and goals?
- In praise of the Hamburglar 7
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 4
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 9
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)