Apr 27, 2010, 9:55 PM EDT
Call it a “feeling out” period if you will as the Red Wings and Coyotes with their playoff lives on the line play a tight, mostly mistake-free first period that ends with the score knotted at 0-0. Each team got a crack on the power play but each team was, obviously, denied a goal.
Meanwhile, the shot disparity between the two shows that the Red Wings opted to “throw the sink” at the Coyotes as they outshot the snake-tossers 17-6 in the first period. Ilya Bryzgalov was the busier and more stellar of the two goaltenders. The Coyotes will have to work a little harder and a little dirtier to start throwing more pucks at Wings goalie Jimmy Howard.
Stop by our Pro Hockey Talk live chat to keep up with what Brandon and I and your Internet brothers and sisters have to say about tonight’s Game 7.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 7
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 1
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 16
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13