Apr 27, 2010, 9:55 PM EDT
Call it a “feeling out” period if you will as the Red Wings and Coyotes with their playoff lives on the line play a tight, mostly mistake-free first period that ends with the score knotted at 0-0. Each team got a crack on the power play but each team was, obviously, denied a goal.
Meanwhile, the shot disparity between the two shows that the Red Wings opted to “throw the sink” at the Coyotes as they outshot the snake-tossers 17-6 in the first period. Ilya Bryzgalov was the busier and more stellar of the two goaltenders. The Coyotes will have to work a little harder and a little dirtier to start throwing more pucks at Wings goalie Jimmy Howard.
Stop by our Pro Hockey Talk live chat to keep up with what Brandon and I and your Internet brothers and sisters have to say about tonight’s Game 7.
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 4
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 6
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 10
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)