Apr 27, 2010, 11:00 PM EDT
For as much as the first period was a feeling out process with the Red Wings pouring shots on goal against Coyotes netminder Ilya Bryzgalov, the second period showed that the Red Wings were not about to stop what they were doing unleashing a beastly attack to take a 4-1 lead after two periods. For the Red Wings, it would be their best players leading the charge.
Pavel Datsyuk got the Red Wings on the board first at the 2:01 mark scoring via the power play. 1:41 later it would be Datsyuk scoring again on a breakaway, this just after Darren Helm drew a hooking penalty on a breakaway to nullify a Coyote power play.
The Coyotes were able to get on the board from the faceoff circle as savvy faceoff master Vernon Fiddler was able to beat Datsyuk on a face off to goaltender Jimmy Howard’s right and beat him five-hole with a shot from the puck drop. With the crowd back into the game, the Coyotes were able to ride that momentum for a bit but then at 11:52 Adrian Aucoin took a holding penalty in front of the net on Tomas Holmstrom. A suffocating Red Wings power play would score 1:58 into those two minutes with Nicklas Lidstrom scoring on a slap shot to make it 3-1 Detroit.
In what may turn out to be the turning point of the game, the Coyotes late in the second had 1:12 of 5-on-3 power play time which was killed off by Detroit. After the puck was knocked out of the Red Wings zone as the power play ended, Brad Stuart was coming out of the box and scored on a breakaway with five seconds remaining in the second to give Detroit the 4-1 lead.
The Coyotes are going to have do a lot of soul searching during intermission as they’ve allowed Detroit too much room around the ice and the Wings are outshooting them 39-21 through two periods.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)