Apr 27, 2010, 11:00 PM EST
For as much as the first period was a feeling out process with the Red Wings pouring shots on goal against Coyotes netminder Ilya Bryzgalov, the second period showed that the Red Wings were not about to stop what they were doing unleashing a beastly attack to take a 4-1 lead after two periods. For the Red Wings, it would be their best players leading the charge.
Pavel Datsyuk got the Red Wings on the board first at the 2:01 mark scoring via the power play. 1:41 later it would be Datsyuk scoring again on a breakaway, this just after Darren Helm drew a hooking penalty on a breakaway to nullify a Coyote power play.
The Coyotes were able to get on the board from the faceoff circle as savvy faceoff master Vernon Fiddler was able to beat Datsyuk on a face off to goaltender Jimmy Howard’s right and beat him five-hole with a shot from the puck drop. With the crowd back into the game, the Coyotes were able to ride that momentum for a bit but then at 11:52 Adrian Aucoin took a holding penalty in front of the net on Tomas Holmstrom. A suffocating Red Wings power play would score 1:58 into those two minutes with Nicklas Lidstrom scoring on a slap shot to make it 3-1 Detroit.
In what may turn out to be the turning point of the game, the Coyotes late in the second had 1:12 of 5-on-3 power play time which was killed off by Detroit. After the puck was knocked out of the Red Wings zone as the power play ended, Brad Stuart was coming out of the box and scored on a breakaway with five seconds remaining in the second to give Detroit the 4-1 lead.
The Coyotes are going to have do a lot of soul searching during intermission as they’ve allowed Detroit too much room around the ice and the Wings are outshooting them 39-21 through two periods.
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 21
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 0
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 36
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)