Apr 27, 2010, 5:02 PM EDT
[Update] Some troublesome new developments in the Lapierre news, as it turns out it certainly isn’t good. Per the team, Ian Laperriere has a brain contusion and mild concussion. He’ll have a CT scan in a month and will be reevaluated then.
Unless the Flyers make it to the Stanley Cup Finals, there’s more than a good chance that he is out for the season. Even then, I doubt he returns. [End update]
Per Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com, Ian Laperriere will not need surgery for his injuries suffered when he took a puck to the face against the New Jersey Devils.
It was a bit worrisome for Flyers fans earlier today when word was that the injury news was not going to be good. And while news that he won’t need surgery is certainly uplifting, there’s a good chance he won’t be available until late in the second round, if at all.
No matter who the Flyers face in the next round — the Capitals or the Bruins — they’re going to need all the help they can get. No, this isn’t me “hating” on the Flyers — this is certainly just me talking reality.
The Flyers were able to oust a New Jersey Devils team that was completely out of sorts headed into the playoffs, and went belly up when the pressure was on them. Taking on an angry Capitals team (and they’ll be angry), and a Bruins team on fire will be a much tougher test.
Taking them on without Laperierre will make things very tough.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 6
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 10
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 36
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)