Apr 27, 2010, 5:02 PM EST
[Update] Some troublesome new developments in the Lapierre news, as it turns out it certainly isn’t good. Per the team, Ian Laperriere has a brain contusion and mild concussion. He’ll have a CT scan in a month and will be reevaluated then.
Unless the Flyers make it to the Stanley Cup Finals, there’s more than a good chance that he is out for the season. Even then, I doubt he returns. [End update]
Per Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com, Ian Laperriere will not need surgery for his injuries suffered when he took a puck to the face against the New Jersey Devils.
It was a bit worrisome for Flyers fans earlier today when word was that the injury news was not going to be good. And while news that he won’t need surgery is certainly uplifting, there’s a good chance he won’t be available until late in the second round, if at all.
No matter who the Flyers face in the next round — the Capitals or the Bruins — they’re going to need all the help they can get. No, this isn’t me “hating” on the Flyers — this is certainly just me talking reality.
The Flyers were able to oust a New Jersey Devils team that was completely out of sorts headed into the playoffs, and went belly up when the pressure was on them. Taking on an angry Capitals team (and they’ll be angry), and a Bruins team on fire will be a much tougher test.
Taking them on without Laperierre will make things very tough.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 19
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)