Apr 27, 2010, 5:02 PM EDT
[Update] Some troublesome new developments in the Lapierre news, as it turns out it certainly isn’t good. Per the team, Ian Laperriere has a brain contusion and mild concussion. He’ll have a CT scan in a month and will be reevaluated then.
Unless the Flyers make it to the Stanley Cup Finals, there’s more than a good chance that he is out for the season. Even then, I doubt he returns. [End update]
Per Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com, Ian Laperriere will not need surgery for his injuries suffered when he took a puck to the face against the New Jersey Devils.
It was a bit worrisome for Flyers fans earlier today when word was that the injury news was not going to be good. And while news that he won’t need surgery is certainly uplifting, there’s a good chance he won’t be available until late in the second round, if at all.
No matter who the Flyers face in the next round — the Capitals or the Bruins — they’re going to need all the help they can get. No, this isn’t me “hating” on the Flyers — this is certainly just me talking reality.
The Flyers were able to oust a New Jersey Devils team that was completely out of sorts headed into the playoffs, and went belly up when the pressure was on them. Taking on an angry Capitals team (and they’ll be angry), and a Bruins team on fire will be a much tougher test.
Taking them on without Laperierre will make things very tough.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 8
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 37
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 89
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 4
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (89)