Apr 27, 2010, 5:02 PM EDT
[Update] Some troublesome new developments in the Lapierre news, as it turns out it certainly isn’t good. Per the team, Ian Laperriere has a brain contusion and mild concussion. He’ll have a CT scan in a month and will be reevaluated then.
Unless the Flyers make it to the Stanley Cup Finals, there’s more than a good chance that he is out for the season. Even then, I doubt he returns. [End update]
Per Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com, Ian Laperriere will not need surgery for his injuries suffered when he took a puck to the face against the New Jersey Devils.
It was a bit worrisome for Flyers fans earlier today when word was that the injury news was not going to be good. And while news that he won’t need surgery is certainly uplifting, there’s a good chance he won’t be available until late in the second round, if at all.
No matter who the Flyers face in the next round — the Capitals or the Bruins — they’re going to need all the help they can get. No, this isn’t me “hating” on the Flyers — this is certainly just me talking reality.
The Flyers were able to oust a New Jersey Devils team that was completely out of sorts headed into the playoffs, and went belly up when the pressure was on them. Taking on an angry Capitals team (and they’ll be angry), and a Bruins team on fire will be a much tougher test.
Taking them on without Laperierre will make things very tough.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 16
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)