Apr 27, 2010, 5:02 PM EDT
[Update] Some troublesome new developments in the Lapierre news, as it turns out it certainly isn’t good. Per the team, Ian Laperriere has a brain contusion and mild concussion. He’ll have a CT scan in a month and will be reevaluated then.
Unless the Flyers make it to the Stanley Cup Finals, there’s more than a good chance that he is out for the season. Even then, I doubt he returns. [End update]
Per Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com, Ian Laperriere will not need surgery for his injuries suffered when he took a puck to the face against the New Jersey Devils.
It was a bit worrisome for Flyers fans earlier today when word was that the injury news was not going to be good. And while news that he won’t need surgery is certainly uplifting, there’s a good chance he won’t be available until late in the second round, if at all.
No matter who the Flyers face in the next round — the Capitals or the Bruins — they’re going to need all the help they can get. No, this isn’t me “hating” on the Flyers — this is certainly just me talking reality.
The Flyers were able to oust a New Jersey Devils team that was completely out of sorts headed into the playoffs, and went belly up when the pressure was on them. Taking on an angry Capitals team (and they’ll be angry), and a Bruins team on fire will be a much tougher test.
Taking them on without Laperierre will make things very tough.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (61)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)