Apr 27, 2010, 9:30 AM EDT
Some troubling notes from David
Shoalts of the Globe & Mail this morning, in light of the news
that up to six NHL teams needed advances from television and/or
revenue-sharing money to help “pay the bills.” Pay the players and staff
is more likely the meaning behind it.
Shoalts mentions that the
Dallas Stars, Atlanta Thrashers, Phoenix Coyotes, Florida Panthers, New
York Islanders and possibly the Tampa Bay Lightning are those teams that
needed financial. Not exactly a surprising list, especially when you
factor in Stars owner Tom Hicks’ financial troubles and the mediocre
seasons every other team is mired in year after year.
worrisome is his notes that Islanders owner Charles Wang may have to
eventually move the team from the Town of Hempstead, as he’s running
into nothing but trouble and roadblocks trying to improve Nassau
Coliseum or even build a new arena.
If the town does
not come through, Bettman said, Wang will “start
looking at his options on Long Island first to see what he can do, but
the club has to have a new arena.” Newsday writer Steve Zipay noted that
Bettman did not deny a possible move to Queens to “a Flushing Meadows
tract adjacent to Citi Field that apparently will be up for bid this
Shoalts then states that Wang may end up having to
give the team over to the NHL, as Wang is frustrated over losing massive
amounts of money each season. My solution for Wang, if he’s so tired of losing money, is to stop giving carte blanche permission to his GMs to make insanely horrible decisions with his team’s financial future.
Now granted there’s a caveat here. David Shoalts — a much better reporter than his recent reputation would lead you to believe — is going off sources and some speculation here. But there’s truth in here, and nothing completely out of left field.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)