Apr 27, 2010, 9:30 AM EST
Some troubling notes from David
Shoalts of the Globe & Mail this morning, in light of the news
that up to six NHL teams needed advances from television and/or
revenue-sharing money to help “pay the bills.” Pay the players and staff
is more likely the meaning behind it.
Shoalts mentions that the
Dallas Stars, Atlanta Thrashers, Phoenix Coyotes, Florida Panthers, New
York Islanders and possibly the Tampa Bay Lightning are those teams that
needed financial. Not exactly a surprising list, especially when you
factor in Stars owner Tom Hicks’ financial troubles and the mediocre
seasons every other team is mired in year after year.
worrisome is his notes that Islanders owner Charles Wang may have to
eventually move the team from the Town of Hempstead, as he’s running
into nothing but trouble and roadblocks trying to improve Nassau
Coliseum or even build a new arena.
If the town does
not come through, Bettman said, Wang will “start
looking at his options on Long Island first to see what he can do, but
the club has to have a new arena.” Newsday writer Steve Zipay noted that
Bettman did not deny a possible move to Queens to “a Flushing Meadows
tract adjacent to Citi Field that apparently will be up for bid this
Shoalts then states that Wang may end up having to
give the team over to the NHL, as Wang is frustrated over losing massive
amounts of money each season. My solution for Wang, if he’s so tired of losing money, is to stop giving carte blanche permission to his GMs to make insanely horrible decisions with his team’s financial future.
Now granted there’s a caveat here. David Shoalts — a much better reporter than his recent reputation would lead you to believe — is going off sources and some speculation here. But there’s truth in here, and nothing completely out of left field.
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 5
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 6
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 11
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 6
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 26
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 32
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 2