Apr 26, 2010, 12:03 AM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings came to play in Game 6. Unfortunately for the young bunch, so did Roberto Luongo – and eventually – so did Daniel Sedin.
Vancouver Canucks 4, Los Angeles Kings 2
Canucks win series 4-2
After out-shooting the Canucks 26-11 going into the third period, the Kings lost a little steam and allowed 11 Vancouver shots to their 6. Kevin Bieksa scored the game-tying goal and Daniel Sedin placed a perfect shot – beating a sprawling Drew Doughty and Jonathan Quick – to give the Canucks their first lead of the game with only 2:07 left.
That lead proved to be too much for the Kings, who went all-in by sending Drew Doughty deep into the offensive zone with the goalie pulled. A decent chance missed Jarret Stoll’s stick and Alex Burrows scored an easy empty-netter to seal the deal. Who knows if this will end Burrows’ struggles, but it gave the Canucks much-needed insurance.
There’s plenty to be optimistic about if you’re a Kings fan, though. Doughty is already a stud and he has plenty of talented youthful company. GM Dean Lombardi keeps showing a nice mix of aggressiveness and patience with his personnel moves (don’t sign Ilya Kovalchuk!). With the two Jonathans (Bernier and Quick) in net, the team probably can keep their goalies cheap (and therefore build up around them). The future is looking bright for the Kings, but forgive them if they don’t want to hear that right now.
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 19
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 39
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 75
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 8
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 11
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 46
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL