Apr 26, 2010, 12:03 AM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings came to play in Game 6. Unfortunately for the young bunch, so did Roberto Luongo – and eventually – so did Daniel Sedin.
Vancouver Canucks 4, Los Angeles Kings 2
Canucks win series 4-2
After out-shooting the Canucks 26-11 going into the third period, the Kings lost a little steam and allowed 11 Vancouver shots to their 6. Kevin Bieksa scored the game-tying goal and Daniel Sedin placed a perfect shot – beating a sprawling Drew Doughty and Jonathan Quick – to give the Canucks their first lead of the game with only 2:07 left.
That lead proved to be too much for the Kings, who went all-in by sending Drew Doughty deep into the offensive zone with the goalie pulled. A decent chance missed Jarret Stoll’s stick and Alex Burrows scored an easy empty-netter to seal the deal. Who knows if this will end Burrows’ struggles, but it gave the Canucks much-needed insurance.
There’s plenty to be optimistic about if you’re a Kings fan, though. Doughty is already a stud and he has plenty of talented youthful company. GM Dean Lombardi keeps showing a nice mix of aggressiveness and patience with his personnel moves (don’t sign Ilya Kovalchuk!). With the two Jonathans (Bernier and Quick) in net, the team probably can keep their goalies cheap (and therefore build up around them). The future is looking bright for the Kings, but forgive them if they don’t want to hear that right now.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 2
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 4
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 2
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 14
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)