Apr 26, 2010, 12:03 AM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings came to play in Game 6. Unfortunately for the young bunch, so did Roberto Luongo – and eventually – so did Daniel Sedin.
Vancouver Canucks 4, Los Angeles Kings 2
Canucks win series 4-2
After out-shooting the Canucks 26-11 going into the third period, the Kings lost a little steam and allowed 11 Vancouver shots to their 6. Kevin Bieksa scored the game-tying goal and Daniel Sedin placed a perfect shot – beating a sprawling Drew Doughty and Jonathan Quick – to give the Canucks their first lead of the game with only 2:07 left.
That lead proved to be too much for the Kings, who went all-in by sending Drew Doughty deep into the offensive zone with the goalie pulled. A decent chance missed Jarret Stoll’s stick and Alex Burrows scored an easy empty-netter to seal the deal. Who knows if this will end Burrows’ struggles, but it gave the Canucks much-needed insurance.
There’s plenty to be optimistic about if you’re a Kings fan, though. Doughty is already a stud and he has plenty of talented youthful company. GM Dean Lombardi keeps showing a nice mix of aggressiveness and patience with his personnel moves (don’t sign Ilya Kovalchuk!). With the two Jonathans (Bernier and Quick) in net, the team probably can keep their goalies cheap (and therefore build up around them). The future is looking bright for the Kings, but forgive them if they don’t want to hear that right now.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)