Apr 26, 2010, 12:03 AM EST
The Los Angeles Kings came to play in Game 6. Unfortunately for the young bunch, so did Roberto Luongo – and eventually – so did Daniel Sedin.
Vancouver Canucks 4, Los Angeles Kings 2
Canucks win series 4-2
After out-shooting the Canucks 26-11 going into the third period, the Kings lost a little steam and allowed 11 Vancouver shots to their 6. Kevin Bieksa scored the game-tying goal and Daniel Sedin placed a perfect shot – beating a sprawling Drew Doughty and Jonathan Quick – to give the Canucks their first lead of the game with only 2:07 left.
That lead proved to be too much for the Kings, who went all-in by sending Drew Doughty deep into the offensive zone with the goalie pulled. A decent chance missed Jarret Stoll’s stick and Alex Burrows scored an easy empty-netter to seal the deal. Who knows if this will end Burrows’ struggles, but it gave the Canucks much-needed insurance.
There’s plenty to be optimistic about if you’re a Kings fan, though. Doughty is already a stud and he has plenty of talented youthful company. GM Dean Lombardi keeps showing a nice mix of aggressiveness and patience with his personnel moves (don’t sign Ilya Kovalchuk!). With the two Jonathans (Bernier and Quick) in net, the team probably can keep their goalies cheap (and therefore build up around them). The future is looking bright for the Kings, but forgive them if they don’t want to hear that right now.
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 31
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 10
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 14
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 33
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 35
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 56
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (56)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ (40)