Apr 26, 2010, 12:03 AM EST
The Los Angeles Kings came to play in Game 6. Unfortunately for the young bunch, so did Roberto Luongo – and eventually – so did Daniel Sedin.
Vancouver Canucks 4, Los Angeles Kings 2
Canucks win series 4-2
After out-shooting the Canucks 26-11 going into the third period, the Kings lost a little steam and allowed 11 Vancouver shots to their 6. Kevin Bieksa scored the game-tying goal and Daniel Sedin placed a perfect shot – beating a sprawling Drew Doughty and Jonathan Quick – to give the Canucks their first lead of the game with only 2:07 left.
That lead proved to be too much for the Kings, who went all-in by sending Drew Doughty deep into the offensive zone with the goalie pulled. A decent chance missed Jarret Stoll’s stick and Alex Burrows scored an easy empty-netter to seal the deal. Who knows if this will end Burrows’ struggles, but it gave the Canucks much-needed insurance.
There’s plenty to be optimistic about if you’re a Kings fan, though. Doughty is already a stud and he has plenty of talented youthful company. GM Dean Lombardi keeps showing a nice mix of aggressiveness and patience with his personnel moves (don’t sign Ilya Kovalchuk!). With the two Jonathans (Bernier and Quick) in net, the team probably can keep their goalies cheap (and therefore build up around them). The future is looking bright for the Kings, but forgive them if they don’t want to hear that right now.
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 0
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 17
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)