Apr 26, 2010, 8:49 PM EDT
Mark Recchi defies age. His hockey skills should be bottled by Oil of Olay to preserve a lady’s face against wrinkles.
With one goal and one assist through the second period of Game 6, Recchi (41) joins 24-year-old Patrice Bergeron as the Boston Bruins’ leading scorer at 5 points in six games. Recchi isn’t merely “at the right place at the right time” even if he earns many of his tallies in the “dirty areas” of the net. Right now “The Recching Ball” holds the go-ahead goal as the Bruins currently have a 2-1 lead going into the third period.
Earlier I wondered if the Washington Capitals might face their fourth consecutive 7-game series. If they do, they can blame one man: Montreal Canadiens goalie Jaroslav Halak.
The Slovakian goalie stopped 33 of 33 shots so far, putting on an amazing show as the Capitals kept putting on pressure. You certainly cannot say that Washington lacks effort, with 18 shots in the first and 15 in the second; Semyon Varlamov only has a third of Halak’s saves with 11. The Canadiens carry a 2-0 lead into the third period, but they might be playing with fire if they think that they can go into “turtle” mode in the final frame. As steady as Halak proves to be, you can’t expect him to keep you alive by himself much longer.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)