Apr 26, 2010, 1:15 PM EDT
Red Light District Hockey has a great article today on how Joe
Pavelski has stepped up for the San Jose Sharks, while Joe Thornton has
once again fallen off the face of the planet once the playoffs began.
“There was not going to be any quit on
our part,” Pavelski said. “We wanted this one. We knew we were going to
get our chances, a couple of chances. Let’s bury them when we get the
opportunity and they went in.”
He goes on to mention the dominant
performance of Pavelski’s line. Skating alongside Setoguchi and Clowe,
the “second” line combined for nine goals and 22 points and was a
plus-16 in the series to lead the San Jose attack.
Thornton had just three assists (one on an empty net goal) and was a
minus-4 in the first round against the Colorado Avalanche. After last
year’s 1-4-5 line and minus-3 in a first round, it’s no longer a joke
about Thornton’s inability to produce when the spotlight is on. It’s a
proven fact that Thornton, for whatever reason, simply folds when his
team needs him most.
If the Sharks have any hope of slaying their
postseason demons, they’ll need much more than a great performance by
Joe Pavelski and his line to do so. Somehow, any way possible, Thornton
will have to find a way to get over this massive hump he’s facing.
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 34
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 16
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 14
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 36
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 59
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 94
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead