Apr 26, 2010, 10:20 PM EDT
He might not have been able to keep his shutout going, but my guess is a lot of people know the name Jaroslav Halak right now.
The Slovakian-born goalie put together a sensational 53-save effort, at one point making a glove save with enough flair that I jokingly called him “Roy-aslav Halak.” As I wondered earlier, the Capitals will indeed take part in their fourth consecutive 7-game series – all of them coming at “The Phone Booth” in DC, by the way.
Montreal Canadiens 4, Washington Capitals 1
Series tied at 3-3
While Halak wowed the hockey world, Semyon Varlamov allowed some tough-to-stomach goals. The Russian goalie allowed 3 goals on 21 shots but – to be fair – he did make some big saves when his team was still in the game. I haven’t heard many comments about a Jose Theodore-Varlamov Game 7 debate, but isn’t that the nature of this playoff beast?
In the last two games, Halak allowed only 2 goals on 90 shots. People mocked the Canadiens for starting Carey Price for a brief spell in this series (which seems amusing since the Capitals changed goalies, too), but maybe that lit a fire under Halak? Either way, he’s playing so well that people are wondering if he’s in the Capitals’ heads at the moment.
All I know is that with every dominant performance, Halak’s value as a restricted free agent rises higher and higher. More on the playoffs’ second guaranteed Game 7 soon …
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 4
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 5
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 30
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 52
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 82
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 9
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut