Apr 26, 2010, 3:30 PM EST
Allan Maki of the Globe & Mail has an interesting note on Ken Hitchcock up today, especially in light of Jacques Lemaire’s announced retirement.
“I’ll move to the back of the bus and I’ll wait my turn (for a coaching
position),” Hitchcock said. “Columbus has offered me a senior advisor
position and I don’t even know what it is yet.”
Hitchcock was fired by the Blue Jackets just before the Olympics, yet he is still under contract for two more years. With four coaching jobs already open around the NHL, Hitchcock’s name will certainly be brought into the discussion. Keeping him withing the organization will ensure that Columbus actually be paying Hitchcock to work for them.
Even if he is available for other coaching positions, you wonder how many teams would be interested. Hitchcock struggled with success in Columbus as he continued to preach his defensive system, one that is perhaps a bit outdated in today’s NHL. Hitchcock, for a long time, was no doubt one of the best coaches in the game, but there comes a time when new blood is needed. With plenty of AHL coaches worthy of the promotion, expect their names to get the call.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 13
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)