Apr 26, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
Rich Hammond of LA Kings Insider is reporting this afternoon that both Drew Doughty and Wayne Simmonds are hoping to play for Canada in this summer’s IIHF World Championships. Canada still has 10 open spots on its roster, and I’m just going to go ahead and say that Doughty will likely be on that team by the time the tournament rolls around.
Of course, no one likes to see any team get ousted in the playoffs, but you have to wonder if GM Mark Messier did a bit of private fist pump at the thought of getting Doughty on his team.
Doughty is one of the top three defensemen in the NHL (we debate all day who the other two might be, but I’m not budging on Doughty) and he’ll have a blast in the World Championships. That he’s itching to get back on the ice for his country after a disappointing finish to the season speaks to just how competitive he is.
I’m sure Brian Burke is on the phone with Dustin Brown as we speak.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 38
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 54
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 42
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 75
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 34
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 48
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 59
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)