Apr 26, 2010, 5:45 PM EST
Rich Hammond of LA Kings Insider is reporting this afternoon that both Drew Doughty and Wayne Simmonds are hoping to play for Canada in this summer’s IIHF World Championships. Canada still has 10 open spots on its roster, and I’m just going to go ahead and say that Doughty will likely be on that team by the time the tournament rolls around.
Of course, no one likes to see any team get ousted in the playoffs, but you have to wonder if GM Mark Messier did a bit of private fist pump at the thought of getting Doughty on his team.
Doughty is one of the top three defensemen in the NHL (we debate all day who the other two might be, but I’m not budging on Doughty) and he’ll have a blast in the World Championships. That he’s itching to get back on the ice for his country after a disappointing finish to the season speaks to just how competitive he is.
I’m sure Brian Burke is on the phone with Dustin Brown as we speak.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 2
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 25
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 22
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 28
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 10
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)