Apr 26, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
Rich Hammond of LA Kings Insider is reporting this afternoon that both Drew Doughty and Wayne Simmonds are hoping to play for Canada in this summer’s IIHF World Championships. Canada still has 10 open spots on its roster, and I’m just going to go ahead and say that Doughty will likely be on that team by the time the tournament rolls around.
Of course, no one likes to see any team get ousted in the playoffs, but you have to wonder if GM Mark Messier did a bit of private fist pump at the thought of getting Doughty on his team.
Doughty is one of the top three defensemen in the NHL (we debate all day who the other two might be, but I’m not budging on Doughty) and he’ll have a blast in the World Championships. That he’s itching to get back on the ice for his country after a disappointing finish to the season speaks to just how competitive he is.
I’m sure Brian Burke is on the phone with Dustin Brown as we speak.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)