Apr 26, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
Rich Hammond of LA Kings Insider is reporting this afternoon that both Drew Doughty and Wayne Simmonds are hoping to play for Canada in this summer’s IIHF World Championships. Canada still has 10 open spots on its roster, and I’m just going to go ahead and say that Doughty will likely be on that team by the time the tournament rolls around.
Of course, no one likes to see any team get ousted in the playoffs, but you have to wonder if GM Mark Messier did a bit of private fist pump at the thought of getting Doughty on his team.
Doughty is one of the top three defensemen in the NHL (we debate all day who the other two might be, but I’m not budging on Doughty) and he’ll have a blast in the World Championships. That he’s itching to get back on the ice for his country after a disappointing finish to the season speaks to just how competitive he is.
I’m sure Brian Burke is on the phone with Dustin Brown as we speak.
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 9
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 34
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 30
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6