Apr 26, 2010, 11:53 AM EST
The New Jersey Devils have announced that Jacques Lemaire will retire
from coaching. This was the second time around for Lemaire as the Devils
coach, after first coaching the team from 1993 to 1998 and won the
Stanley Cup with the team in 1995.
Lemaire then spent eight
seasons with the Minnesota Wild, and while the team was mostly
successful the Wild made it out of the first just once.
announcement immediately turns one’s mind to last week’s press
conference by GM Lou Lamoriello, when he said this:
So there is no question Jacques will be back next year?
“There is no question that he will be back, unless you know something
I don’t know. There’s no question in my mind.”
His statement “unless you know something I don’t know” is certainly a
bit eyebrow raising now, as it’s not something you hear often. It was an emphatic
statement that Lemaire “would be back”; turns out Lamoriello wasn’t
exactly off-base here. Lemaire will stay with the organization in some
form, in a front office position. So..he’ll “be back”, just not as a
There was some thought this past season, and especially after the
first round loss by the Devils, that Lemaire’s defensive-minded, neutral
zone trap style system was outdated in this post-lockout NHL. With Ken
Hitchcock and now Lemaire retiring and/or fired, we’re slowly starting
to see the ‘old school’ coaches get passed by.
We’ll have more on this later today.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)