Apr 26, 2010, 10:00 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins advanced to the second round of the playoffs in the same way that they got to the playoffs: by grinding out wins with timely scoring and strong goaltending by Tuukka Rask.
Boston Bruins 4, Buffalo Sabres 3
Bruins win series 4-2
Miroslav Satan rose above all the hackneyed (though every-now-and-then clever) devil jokes to be a factor in this series. He made the game 4-2 with what was eventually a game-winning goal and generally raised the ire of his former team in Buffalo. Satan joined Mark Recchi and Patrice Bergeron as the Bruins’ redemptive trio of leading scorers with a one goal, one assist performance than must have made Ryan Miller steaming mad.
Both Miller and Rask were strong in this series, but ultimately Rask came away with the win. During the season, a lot of the Boston talk focused negativity toward last year’s Vezina Trophy winner Tim Thomas, but it’s difficult not to be positive about their net situation now. Going forward, the team has Thomas and Rask to work with (unless Boston can make a lucrative trade with Thomas). Certainly seems like a more positive situation now, doesn’t it?
I, for one, didn’t expect the Sabres to be as strong as they were in the regular season. They’re actually in pretty solid salary cap condition to maybe add a difference-maker (They should give Sergei Gonchar a call, for one thing …). They obviously must be disappointed in losing in the first round, but with Tyler Myers, a decent group of forwards and Ryan Miller in net, things could be a lot worse. Still, this team needs to add some zip to their lineup if they want to make real noise in the playoffs.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)