Apr 26, 2010, 10:00 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins advanced to the second round of the playoffs in the same way that they got to the playoffs: by grinding out wins with timely scoring and strong goaltending by Tuukka Rask.
Boston Bruins 4, Buffalo Sabres 3
Bruins win series 4-2
Miroslav Satan rose above all the hackneyed (though every-now-and-then clever) devil jokes to be a factor in this series. He made the game 4-2 with what was eventually a game-winning goal and generally raised the ire of his former team in Buffalo. Satan joined Mark Recchi and Patrice Bergeron as the Bruins’ redemptive trio of leading scorers with a one goal, one assist performance than must have made Ryan Miller steaming mad.
Both Miller and Rask were strong in this series, but ultimately Rask came away with the win. During the season, a lot of the Boston talk focused negativity toward last year’s Vezina Trophy winner Tim Thomas, but it’s difficult not to be positive about their net situation now. Going forward, the team has Thomas and Rask to work with (unless Boston can make a lucrative trade with Thomas). Certainly seems like a more positive situation now, doesn’t it?
I, for one, didn’t expect the Sabres to be as strong as they were in the regular season. They’re actually in pretty solid salary cap condition to maybe add a difference-maker (They should give Sergei Gonchar a call, for one thing …). They obviously must be disappointed in losing in the first round, but with Tyler Myers, a decent group of forwards and Ryan Miller in net, things could be a lot worse. Still, this team needs to add some zip to their lineup if they want to make real noise in the playoffs.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)