Apr 26, 2010, 8:07 PM EDT
Are the Washington Capitals headed for yet another 7-game series?
It’s one of those dim-witted but interesting stats: they’ve never made it easy – either for themselves or for their opponents – in the Alex Ovechkin Era. In their first run in the playoffs, they lost a Game 7 at home against the Philadelphia Flyers in the first round. During last year’s first round, they squeaked by the New York Rangers in a Game 7 after being down and out. Most hockey fans are aware of their epic series with the Pittsburgh Penguins that culminated in a Game 7 drubbing … also in DC.
Naturally, it’s hasty to say that the Capitals are going to a fourth consecutive do-or-die game, but the Montreal Canadiens are off to a good start. Free agent pickup Michael Cammalleri continued his hot streak with two first period goals to give the Habs a 2-0 lead at home. That being said, NHL ’08 will remind you that a two-goal lead is “the worst lead in hockey” and the Ottawa Senators might tell you that a three-goal lead isn’t too great either.
Meanwhile, in Boston, the Bruins hold a 2-0 lead over the trailing Buffalo Sabres in the early second period. Could this be the end of a great year for Ryan Miller? Expect updates as these two games go along.
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 0
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 1
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 27
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)