Apr 26, 2010, 8:07 PM EDT
Are the Washington Capitals headed for yet another 7-game series?
It’s one of those dim-witted but interesting stats: they’ve never made it easy – either for themselves or for their opponents – in the Alex Ovechkin Era. In their first run in the playoffs, they lost a Game 7 at home against the Philadelphia Flyers in the first round. During last year’s first round, they squeaked by the New York Rangers in a Game 7 after being down and out. Most hockey fans are aware of their epic series with the Pittsburgh Penguins that culminated in a Game 7 drubbing … also in DC.
Naturally, it’s hasty to say that the Capitals are going to a fourth consecutive do-or-die game, but the Montreal Canadiens are off to a good start. Free agent pickup Michael Cammalleri continued his hot streak with two first period goals to give the Habs a 2-0 lead at home. That being said, NHL ’08 will remind you that a two-goal lead is “the worst lead in hockey” and the Ottawa Senators might tell you that a three-goal lead isn’t too great either.
Meanwhile, in Boston, the Bruins hold a 2-0 lead over the trailing Buffalo Sabres in the early second period. Could this be the end of a great year for Ryan Miller? Expect updates as these two games go along.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (148)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (100)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)