Apr 26, 2010, 8:07 PM EST
Are the Washington Capitals headed for yet another 7-game series?
It’s one of those dim-witted but interesting stats: they’ve never made it easy – either for themselves or for their opponents – in the Alex Ovechkin Era. In their first run in the playoffs, they lost a Game 7 at home against the Philadelphia Flyers in the first round. During last year’s first round, they squeaked by the New York Rangers in a Game 7 after being down and out. Most hockey fans are aware of their epic series with the Pittsburgh Penguins that culminated in a Game 7 drubbing … also in DC.
Naturally, it’s hasty to say that the Capitals are going to a fourth consecutive do-or-die game, but the Montreal Canadiens are off to a good start. Free agent pickup Michael Cammalleri continued his hot streak with two first period goals to give the Habs a 2-0 lead at home. That being said, NHL ’08 will remind you that a two-goal lead is “the worst lead in hockey” and the Ottawa Senators might tell you that a three-goal lead isn’t too great either.
Meanwhile, in Boston, the Bruins hold a 2-0 lead over the trailing Buffalo Sabres in the early second period. Could this be the end of a great year for Ryan Miller? Expect updates as these two games go along.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)