Apr 26, 2010, 8:07 PM EDT
Are the Washington Capitals headed for yet another 7-game series?
It’s one of those dim-witted but interesting stats: they’ve never made it easy – either for themselves or for their opponents – in the Alex Ovechkin Era. In their first run in the playoffs, they lost a Game 7 at home against the Philadelphia Flyers in the first round. During last year’s first round, they squeaked by the New York Rangers in a Game 7 after being down and out. Most hockey fans are aware of their epic series with the Pittsburgh Penguins that culminated in a Game 7 drubbing … also in DC.
Naturally, it’s hasty to say that the Capitals are going to a fourth consecutive do-or-die game, but the Montreal Canadiens are off to a good start. Free agent pickup Michael Cammalleri continued his hot streak with two first period goals to give the Habs a 2-0 lead at home. That being said, NHL ’08 will remind you that a two-goal lead is “the worst lead in hockey” and the Ottawa Senators might tell you that a three-goal lead isn’t too great either.
Meanwhile, in Boston, the Bruins hold a 2-0 lead over the trailing Buffalo Sabres in the early second period. Could this be the end of a great year for Ryan Miller? Expect updates as these two games go along.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 0
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 17
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (36)