Apr 25, 2010, 12:35 AM EDT
For at least one round, the San Jose Sharks can take a break from all the choking jokes. Then they’ll start over again in Round 2, because god forbid someone think of new punchlines.
San Jose Sharks 5, Colorado Avalanche 2
Sharks win series 4-2
It’s been a night full of spirited comebacks. First, Chicago scored a last minute goal to tie a game against Nashville that the Blackhawks eventually won in overtime. Next, Pittsburgh came back from a 3-0 deficit to knock the Ottawa out of the playoffs. Finally, San Jose came back from a 2-1 third period margin to win 5-2.
The score might indicate that this game was a blow-out, but really it was 3-2 with two empty net goals. Joe Pavelski is starting to develop a real “clutch” reputation this post-season; he scored San Jose’s first and added the game winning goal to boot. Dan Boyle scored a goal to help cleanse some of the bad taste left from that horrid own-goal. Marek Svatos and Brandon Yip scored Colorado’s two goals.
While the Sharks breathe a sigh of relief, the Avalanche should keep their heads up high. Aside from maybe a few crazy Avs fans/writers, no one expected Colorado to even make the playoffs. Instead, they had a fantastic run to the eighth seed in the West (not a small feat considering how tough the conference was). Considering all the fresh faces in their lineup, the Avs might hit a little hangover next year but expect this team to knock on the door in the future.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)