Apr 25, 2010, 4:43 PM EDT
I have to say I’m impressed with the Phoenix Coyotes. After the first period, even though the Red Wings were down 1-0, I just had this feeling that Detroit would fight back, keep doing what was working in the first period and then eventually take the lead.
Yet the special teams play of the Phoenix Coyotes was the difference in this game, as they used some brilliant play by Ilya Bryzgalov and steady defense to kill off three early power plays by the Red Wings. It as Lauri Korpikowski who ultimately supplied the dagger for the Coyotes, getting a nifty shorthanded goal on Jimmy Howard to stun Joe Louis Arena and give the Coyotes a lead they would never relinquish.
It was another concerning effort for Mike Babcock, as his Red Wings once again started with some jump but faded as the game wore on. He worked his team after flying yesterday in an effort to keep them focused and energetic, but it was just another lackluster afternoon game for his team.
Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk combined for just four shots on net, and were largely invisible for long stretches during the final 40 minutes. When Brad Stuart and Patrick Eaves are the leaders in shots for the game, it’s a clear sign the execution was severely lacking.
So now we head back to Glendale for a Game 7, with the Coyotes securing the chance to advance to the second round for the first time as a franchise since 1987.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 11
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 29
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)