Apr 25, 2010, 4:43 PM EDT
I have to say I’m impressed with the Phoenix Coyotes. After the first period, even though the Red Wings were down 1-0, I just had this feeling that Detroit would fight back, keep doing what was working in the first period and then eventually take the lead.
Yet the special teams play of the Phoenix Coyotes was the difference in this game, as they used some brilliant play by Ilya Bryzgalov and steady defense to kill off three early power plays by the Red Wings. It as Lauri Korpikowski who ultimately supplied the dagger for the Coyotes, getting a nifty shorthanded goal on Jimmy Howard to stun Joe Louis Arena and give the Coyotes a lead they would never relinquish.
It was another concerning effort for Mike Babcock, as his Red Wings once again started with some jump but faded as the game wore on. He worked his team after flying yesterday in an effort to keep them focused and energetic, but it was just another lackluster afternoon game for his team.
Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk combined for just four shots on net, and were largely invisible for long stretches during the final 40 minutes. When Brad Stuart and Patrick Eaves are the leaders in shots for the game, it’s a clear sign the execution was severely lacking.
So now we head back to Glendale for a Game 7, with the Coyotes securing the chance to advance to the second round for the first time as a franchise since 1987.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 1
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 19
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 43
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 75
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks