Apr 25, 2010, 4:43 PM EST
I have to say I’m impressed with the Phoenix Coyotes. After the first period, even though the Red Wings were down 1-0, I just had this feeling that Detroit would fight back, keep doing what was working in the first period and then eventually take the lead.
Yet the special teams play of the Phoenix Coyotes was the difference in this game, as they used some brilliant play by Ilya Bryzgalov and steady defense to kill off three early power plays by the Red Wings. It as Lauri Korpikowski who ultimately supplied the dagger for the Coyotes, getting a nifty shorthanded goal on Jimmy Howard to stun Joe Louis Arena and give the Coyotes a lead they would never relinquish.
It was another concerning effort for Mike Babcock, as his Red Wings once again started with some jump but faded as the game wore on. He worked his team after flying yesterday in an effort to keep them focused and energetic, but it was just another lackluster afternoon game for his team.
Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk combined for just four shots on net, and were largely invisible for long stretches during the final 40 minutes. When Brad Stuart and Patrick Eaves are the leaders in shots for the game, it’s a clear sign the execution was severely lacking.
So now we head back to Glendale for a Game 7, with the Coyotes securing the chance to advance to the second round for the first time as a franchise since 1987.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)