Apr 25, 2010, 4:43 PM EST
I have to say I’m impressed with the Phoenix Coyotes. After the first period, even though the Red Wings were down 1-0, I just had this feeling that Detroit would fight back, keep doing what was working in the first period and then eventually take the lead.
Yet the special teams play of the Phoenix Coyotes was the difference in this game, as they used some brilliant play by Ilya Bryzgalov and steady defense to kill off three early power plays by the Red Wings. It as Lauri Korpikowski who ultimately supplied the dagger for the Coyotes, getting a nifty shorthanded goal on Jimmy Howard to stun Joe Louis Arena and give the Coyotes a lead they would never relinquish.
It was another concerning effort for Mike Babcock, as his Red Wings once again started with some jump but faded as the game wore on. He worked his team after flying yesterday in an effort to keep them focused and energetic, but it was just another lackluster afternoon game for his team.
Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk combined for just four shots on net, and were largely invisible for long stretches during the final 40 minutes. When Brad Stuart and Patrick Eaves are the leaders in shots for the game, it’s a clear sign the execution was severely lacking.
So now we head back to Glendale for a Game 7, with the Coyotes securing the chance to advance to the second round for the first time as a franchise since 1987.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 38
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 63
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 19
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 13
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 69
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (71)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)