Apr 25, 2010, 11:20 AM EST
Mike Babcock isn’t going to let his team suffer from another letdown at home. Last week, the Phoenix Coyotes dominated the Red Wings on NBC after a travel day, when Babcock gave his team the day off after traveling.
Yesterday, after the team traveled back to Detroit, the players were told to get off the plane and get their equipment for an afternoon practice.
“We didn’t win, so we’re doing something different,” Babcock said
Saturday. “There isn’t one player on this team that wanted to put their
equipment on, I can guarantee you that. I didn’t want to be here,
It’s a bold move by Babcock, especially in a playoff season where most teams are giving their players the option to practice. Babcock has one of the most experienced and savvy teams in the playoffs, yet he’s fighting to ensure they don’t have a drop in effort after two great games against Phoenix.
Of course, the plan could backfire and the Red Wings have dead legs after traveling and practicing. You can’t fault a coach who is actually doing something proactive, however.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 141
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 116
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (142)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (127)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (116)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)