Apr 25, 2010, 11:20 AM EDT
Mike Babcock isn’t going to let his team suffer from another letdown at home. Last week, the Phoenix Coyotes dominated the Red Wings on NBC after a travel day, when Babcock gave his team the day off after traveling.
Yesterday, after the team traveled back to Detroit, the players were told to get off the plane and get their equipment for an afternoon practice.
“We didn’t win, so we’re doing something different,” Babcock said
Saturday. “There isn’t one player on this team that wanted to put their
equipment on, I can guarantee you that. I didn’t want to be here,
It’s a bold move by Babcock, especially in a playoff season where most teams are giving their players the option to practice. Babcock has one of the most experienced and savvy teams in the playoffs, yet he’s fighting to ensure they don’t have a drop in effort after two great games against Phoenix.
Of course, the plan could backfire and the Red Wings have dead legs after traveling and practicing. You can’t fault a coach who is actually doing something proactive, however.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)