Apr 25, 2010, 11:20 AM EDT
Mike Babcock isn’t going to let his team suffer from another letdown at home. Last week, the Phoenix Coyotes dominated the Red Wings on NBC after a travel day, when Babcock gave his team the day off after traveling.
Yesterday, after the team traveled back to Detroit, the players were told to get off the plane and get their equipment for an afternoon practice.
“We didn’t win, so we’re doing something different,” Babcock said
Saturday. “There isn’t one player on this team that wanted to put their
equipment on, I can guarantee you that. I didn’t want to be here,
It’s a bold move by Babcock, especially in a playoff season where most teams are giving their players the option to practice. Babcock has one of the most experienced and savvy teams in the playoffs, yet he’s fighting to ensure they don’t have a drop in effort after two great games against Phoenix.
Of course, the plan could backfire and the Red Wings have dead legs after traveling and practicing. You can’t fault a coach who is actually doing something proactive, however.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 3
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)