Apr 25, 2010, 11:20 AM EDT
Mike Babcock isn’t going to let his team suffer from another letdown at home. Last week, the Phoenix Coyotes dominated the Red Wings on NBC after a travel day, when Babcock gave his team the day off after traveling.
Yesterday, after the team traveled back to Detroit, the players were told to get off the plane and get their equipment for an afternoon practice.
“We didn’t win, so we’re doing something different,” Babcock said
Saturday. “There isn’t one player on this team that wanted to put their
equipment on, I can guarantee you that. I didn’t want to be here,
It’s a bold move by Babcock, especially in a playoff season where most teams are giving their players the option to practice. Babcock has one of the most experienced and savvy teams in the playoffs, yet he’s fighting to ensure they don’t have a drop in effort after two great games against Phoenix.
Of course, the plan could backfire and the Red Wings have dead legs after traveling and practicing. You can’t fault a coach who is actually doing something proactive, however.
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 7
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 31
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 25
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)