Apr 24, 2010, 10:35 PM EST
Pascal Dupuis scored a one-timer goal to cap a big comeback for the Pittsburgh Penguins. They came back from a 3-0 Ottawa Senators lead to close out the series in overtime at 4-3.
Pittsburgh Penguins 4, Ottawa Senators 3 OT
Penguins win series 4-2
As I wrote earlier, the game had more than its fair share of controversy with three possible goals being waved off for various reasons.
The Senators scored the game’s first three goals before the Penguins sanded their lead down and won the game in overtime. Matt Cooke had two goals while minor league call-up Chris Connor helped the Penguins’ fourth line create a poor man’s version of the Jordan Staal-Cooke-Chris Kunitz combo’s cycle game. One thing that stood out was how aggressive the Penguins’ defensemen often were, as even the likes of Brooks Orpik went as deep as the Senators’ red line on one sequence.
I’m on record of saying that the Senators showed plenty of flaws but also plenty of heart. Their team needs improvement in just about every area, but they definitely played hard for most of the series. They might regret going into “protect the lead” mode, though, as the Penguins scored two goals and out-shot the Senators 18-4 in the pivotal third period.
Still, the Senators deserved the ovation their fans gave them as their season came to an end.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)