Apr 24, 2010, 10:35 PM EST
Pascal Dupuis scored a one-timer goal to cap a big comeback for the Pittsburgh Penguins. They came back from a 3-0 Ottawa Senators lead to close out the series in overtime at 4-3.
Pittsburgh Penguins 4, Ottawa Senators 3 OT
Penguins win series 4-2
As I wrote earlier, the game had more than its fair share of controversy with three possible goals being waved off for various reasons.
The Senators scored the game’s first three goals before the Penguins sanded their lead down and won the game in overtime. Matt Cooke had two goals while minor league call-up Chris Connor helped the Penguins’ fourth line create a poor man’s version of the Jordan Staal-Cooke-Chris Kunitz combo’s cycle game. One thing that stood out was how aggressive the Penguins’ defensemen often were, as even the likes of Brooks Orpik went as deep as the Senators’ red line on one sequence.
I’m on record of saying that the Senators showed plenty of flaws but also plenty of heart. Their team needs improvement in just about every area, but they definitely played hard for most of the series. They might regret going into “protect the lead” mode, though, as the Penguins scored two goals and out-shot the Senators 18-4 in the pivotal third period.
Still, the Senators deserved the ovation their fans gave them as their season came to an end.
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 8
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 22
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 27
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 69
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 34
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (70)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)