Apr 24, 2010, 10:35 PM EDT
Pascal Dupuis scored a one-timer goal to cap a big comeback for the Pittsburgh Penguins. They came back from a 3-0 Ottawa Senators lead to close out the series in overtime at 4-3.
Pittsburgh Penguins 4, Ottawa Senators 3 OT
Penguins win series 4-2
As I wrote earlier, the game had more than its fair share of controversy with three possible goals being waved off for various reasons.
The Senators scored the game’s first three goals before the Penguins sanded their lead down and won the game in overtime. Matt Cooke had two goals while minor league call-up Chris Connor helped the Penguins’ fourth line create a poor man’s version of the Jordan Staal-Cooke-Chris Kunitz combo’s cycle game. One thing that stood out was how aggressive the Penguins’ defensemen often were, as even the likes of Brooks Orpik went as deep as the Senators’ red line on one sequence.
I’m on record of saying that the Senators showed plenty of flaws but also plenty of heart. Their team needs improvement in just about every area, but they definitely played hard for most of the series. They might regret going into “protect the lead” mode, though, as the Penguins scored two goals and out-shot the Senators 18-4 in the pivotal third period.
Still, the Senators deserved the ovation their fans gave them as their season came to an end.
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 2
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 4
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 23
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)