Apr 24, 2010, 10:35 PM EDT
Pascal Dupuis scored a one-timer goal to cap a big comeback for the Pittsburgh Penguins. They came back from a 3-0 Ottawa Senators lead to close out the series in overtime at 4-3.
Pittsburgh Penguins 4, Ottawa Senators 3 OT
Penguins win series 4-2
As I wrote earlier, the game had more than its fair share of controversy with three possible goals being waved off for various reasons.
The Senators scored the game’s first three goals before the Penguins sanded their lead down and won the game in overtime. Matt Cooke had two goals while minor league call-up Chris Connor helped the Penguins’ fourth line create a poor man’s version of the Jordan Staal-Cooke-Chris Kunitz combo’s cycle game. One thing that stood out was how aggressive the Penguins’ defensemen often were, as even the likes of Brooks Orpik went as deep as the Senators’ red line on one sequence.
I’m on record of saying that the Senators showed plenty of flaws but also plenty of heart. Their team needs improvement in just about every area, but they definitely played hard for most of the series. They might regret going into “protect the lead” mode, though, as the Penguins scored two goals and out-shot the Senators 18-4 in the pivotal third period.
Still, the Senators deserved the ovation their fans gave them as their season came to an end.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)