Apr 24, 2010, 10:35 PM EDT
Pascal Dupuis scored a one-timer goal to cap a big comeback for the Pittsburgh Penguins. They came back from a 3-0 Ottawa Senators lead to close out the series in overtime at 4-3.
Pittsburgh Penguins 4, Ottawa Senators 3 OT
Penguins win series 4-2
As I wrote earlier, the game had more than its fair share of controversy with three possible goals being waved off for various reasons.
The Senators scored the game’s first three goals before the Penguins sanded their lead down and won the game in overtime. Matt Cooke had two goals while minor league call-up Chris Connor helped the Penguins’ fourth line create a poor man’s version of the Jordan Staal-Cooke-Chris Kunitz combo’s cycle game. One thing that stood out was how aggressive the Penguins’ defensemen often were, as even the likes of Brooks Orpik went as deep as the Senators’ red line on one sequence.
I’m on record of saying that the Senators showed plenty of flaws but also plenty of heart. Their team needs improvement in just about every area, but they definitely played hard for most of the series. They might regret going into “protect the lead” mode, though, as the Penguins scored two goals and out-shot the Senators 18-4 in the pivotal third period.
Still, the Senators deserved the ovation their fans gave them as their season came to an end.
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 7
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 31
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 25
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)