Apr 24, 2010, 9:55 PM EST
With two goals in the third period, the Pittsburgh Penguins tied the Ottawa Senators to send Game 6 into overtime.
It’s been an odd game so far as each period had a goal (or should I say, non-goal) that caused controversy. The first period saw a Penguins non-goal as Pascal Leclaire’s black pads made it difficult to decipher if the puck crossed the red line or not. In the second, the Senators had a goal called back because the net was knocked off its moorings. Finally, Pittsburgh were not given a goal because of goalie interference.
Matt Cullen scored the first goal for Ottawa in the first period. Things looked grim for the Penguins in the second period after Chris Neil and Daniel Alfredsson scored to make it a 3-0 lead.
Nearly a minute after Alfredsson scored that third goal, Matt Cooke scored his first of two goals. Bill Guerin blasted a powerplay goal past Leclaire right after a would-be Penguins goal was negated. Finally, Cooke scored off a wide open rebound to tie things up.
As you may know, The Senators are on the brink of elimination … again. Will it be another three-OT marathon? More on this game soon enough …
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 7
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 13
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 23
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 22
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)