Apr 24, 2010, 9:55 PM EDT
With two goals in the third period, the Pittsburgh Penguins tied the Ottawa Senators to send Game 6 into overtime.
It’s been an odd game so far as each period had a goal (or should I say, non-goal) that caused controversy. The first period saw a Penguins non-goal as Pascal Leclaire’s black pads made it difficult to decipher if the puck crossed the red line or not. In the second, the Senators had a goal called back because the net was knocked off its moorings. Finally, Pittsburgh were not given a goal because of goalie interference.
Matt Cullen scored the first goal for Ottawa in the first period. Things looked grim for the Penguins in the second period after Chris Neil and Daniel Alfredsson scored to make it a 3-0 lead.
Nearly a minute after Alfredsson scored that third goal, Matt Cooke scored his first of two goals. Bill Guerin blasted a powerplay goal past Leclaire right after a would-be Penguins goal was negated. Finally, Cooke scored off a wide open rebound to tie things up.
As you may know, The Senators are on the brink of elimination … again. Will it be another three-OT marathon? More on this game soon enough …
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 13
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 37
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 49
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 19
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 31
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 96
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (97)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games