Apr 24, 2010, 12:02 AM EDT
Update: you can eat your Scooby snacks in peace; word is that the league repealed the instigator penalty. (Source: Darren Dreger.)
It’s a legitimate fear at this point, as you can see from this Associated Press report.
The game ended with a melee in front of the Buffalo bench and five players were penalized. Boston captain Zdeno Chara was called for an instigator penalty. If it’s not rescinded, he won’t play in Game 6.
To quote the great prophet Scooby Doo, “rut roh!” The Bruins already have to be concerned after the Sabres put three goals past Tuukka Rask and won tonight’s Game 5 match, but without their Norris Trophy winning giant, they could cough up what was once a 3-1 series lead.
Chara’s presence in the next game is still up to question, though, so don’t panic (too much) in Beantown. We’ll keep an eye on the situation as the game’s late skirmish could end up being a serious blunder.
Here’s some video footage of the end-of-game scrum.
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 1
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 45
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits 100
- Howard won’t demand trade out of Detroit 19
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (101)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)