Apr 24, 2010, 12:02 AM EDT
Update: you can eat your Scooby snacks in peace; word is that the league repealed the instigator penalty. (Source: Darren Dreger.)
It’s a legitimate fear at this point, as you can see from this Associated Press report.
The game ended with a melee in front of the Buffalo bench and five players were penalized. Boston captain Zdeno Chara was called for an instigator penalty. If it’s not rescinded, he won’t play in Game 6.
To quote the great prophet Scooby Doo, “rut roh!” The Bruins already have to be concerned after the Sabres put three goals past Tuukka Rask and won tonight’s Game 5 match, but without their Norris Trophy winning giant, they could cough up what was once a 3-1 series lead.
Chara’s presence in the next game is still up to question, though, so don’t panic (too much) in Beantown. We’ll keep an eye on the situation as the game’s late skirmish could end up being a serious blunder.
Here’s some video footage of the end-of-game scrum.
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 11
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 20
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 28
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)