Apr 24, 2010, 12:02 AM EDT
Update: you can eat your Scooby snacks in peace; word is that the league repealed the instigator penalty. (Source: Darren Dreger.)
It’s a legitimate fear at this point, as you can see from this Associated Press report.
The game ended with a melee in front of the Buffalo bench and five players were penalized. Boston captain Zdeno Chara was called for an instigator penalty. If it’s not rescinded, he won’t play in Game 6.
To quote the great prophet Scooby Doo, “rut roh!” The Bruins already have to be concerned after the Sabres put three goals past Tuukka Rask and won tonight’s Game 5 match, but without their Norris Trophy winning giant, they could cough up what was once a 3-1 series lead.
Chara’s presence in the next game is still up to question, though, so don’t panic (too much) in Beantown. We’ll keep an eye on the situation as the game’s late skirmish could end up being a serious blunder.
Here’s some video footage of the end-of-game scrum.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 13
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 11
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 33
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 110
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7