Apr 24, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
Taking a break from the facial injuries news, the New Jersey Devils
obituaries, and the intriguing yet perplexing personnel moves of the
Edmonton Oilers, we have one of those fun and uplifting stories that you
can only find once the season is over.
Some beer league hockey
players in Georgia were surprised last week when they showed up for a
pick game to find Maxim Afinogenov’s name on the list.
Ray Melick of The Birmingham News has the fun story:
agent said he wanted to skate,” Cheeseman said. “So I told her we
had an adult pick-up game on Tuesday nights, and (Afinogenov) showed up.
We limit the number of players, so you have to sign in and pay $10. I
made sure his name was first on the list.”
a pick up game isn’t going to be that competitive for Afinogenov and he
was invited to a league game later in the week. He scored 17 of he 29
goals in the game, as he switched teams in the middle of the game. He
also never left the ice in the second and third periods, as he was
hoping to work on his conditioning leading up to some international play
The Thrashers forward stuck around after the game,
talking with players and signing plenty of autographs for kids with
sticks and pucks.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 14
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 23
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs day on PHT 10
- Fanspeak: Maurice Richard named greatest player in Canadiens history 15