Apr 24, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
Taking a break from the facial injuries news, the New Jersey Devils
obituaries, and the intriguing yet perplexing personnel moves of the
Edmonton Oilers, we have one of those fun and uplifting stories that you
can only find once the season is over.
Some beer league hockey
players in Georgia were surprised last week when they showed up for a
pick game to find Maxim Afinogenov’s name on the list.
Ray Melick of The Birmingham News has the fun story:
agent said he wanted to skate,” Cheeseman said. “So I told her we
had an adult pick-up game on Tuesday nights, and (Afinogenov) showed up.
We limit the number of players, so you have to sign in and pay $10. I
made sure his name was first on the list.”
a pick up game isn’t going to be that competitive for Afinogenov and he
was invited to a league game later in the week. He scored 17 of he 29
goals in the game, as he switched teams in the middle of the game. He
also never left the ice in the second and third periods, as he was
hoping to work on his conditioning leading up to some international play
The Thrashers forward stuck around after the game,
talking with players and signing plenty of autographs for kids with
sticks and pucks.
- Treliving would be ‘shocked’ if Bennett sticks with Flames in 14-15 3
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 8
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 15
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 41
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22