Apr 23, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
Every now and then, you come across a work of art in the blogger
world. There are so many great writers, with some incredible insight and
creativity, that we have great articles to read to read every single
day. Yet sometimes, you come across the pot of gold. Dominik of
Lighthouse Hockey has provided us with that today.
talked with the media before Wednesday night’s game in Los Angeles,
hitting a number of topics. There was a bit of sparring back and forth
with the media, and Bettman also provided a lengthy Q&A with the LA
Times, which you can read here.
Dominik decided to translate that
interview, providing a satirical look into the true meaning behind
Bettman’s words. Here
is a taste:
Bettman: “It’s a coincidence. It’s good to be
here. We’ve been
planning [the 2010 draft], as have the Kings, for a while, but we know
that this is a market that will support hockey. We had a terrific
All-Star Game here in 2002, when things were not as exciting as they
are today. But you always have to look at these things for the long
“And yet, league movers and shakers still wanted to be able to play
golf, so L.A. it is.”
Translation: “It’s totally a coincidence the draft is in L.A.
Never mind that with all of last summer’s sideshow, we really really
really wanted to prove a point by holding it in Phoenix. But as that
ownership quagmire lingered into the winter, it became too much of a
reach for even us “this-pig-smells-like-a-rose” types in the NHL office
to hold the draft in a city that might not have a team anymore.
I don’t want to steal much more thunder from Dominik, but it’s
certainly a great and hilarious read into what the ‘true’ meanings
behind Bettman’s words might be.
And honestly, it’s tough to argue with any of them.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)