Apr 23, 2010, 12:05 PM EDT
We have our finalists for the first of the NHL awards, which will be
announced one award at a time over the next two weeks at Noon EST.
Here are the Norris Trophy finalists, given to the NHL’s best
defenseman who “demonstrates throughout the season the greatest
all-round ability in the position”. The award is voted on by the
Professional Hockey Writers Association.
Mike Green, Washington Capitals - 75 GP, 19 G, 57 A,
76 Points, +39, 54 PIM
Drew Doughty, Los Angeles Kings - 82 GP, 16 G, 43 A,
59 Points, +20, 54 PIM
Duncan Keith, Chicago Blackhawks - 82 GP, 14 G, 55
A, 69 Points, +21, 51 PIM
My pick: At the end of the regular season, I firmly believed this was
Mike Green’s award to lose. His defensive liabilities have been
overblown and this season I felt that he really started to balance out
as a defenseman. He’ll always be an incredibly talented offensive
player, and throughout the season it was tough to find a more complete
defenseman in the NHL this past season.
It’s a good thing the award is voted on before the playoffs.
Doughty has been nothing but impressive, and if he doesn’t win the
award this year he’ll have plenty of Norris Trophies on his mantle in
the coming years. He’s just 20 years old, but he’s becoming the most
dynamic and exciting defenseman to watch in the NHL.
important to note that Nicklas Lidstrom was not a finalist after being
on this list in 10 of the past 11 seasons.
The 2010 NHL Awards will be broadcast live from the Pearl Concert
Theater inside the Palms Hotel Las Vegas on June 23, 2010, on VERSUS in
the United States and CBC in Canada.
The schedule for the award nomination announcements:
Monday, April 19 – Vezina Trophy (top goaltender)
April 20 – Frank J. Selke Trophy (top defensive forward)
April 21 – Lady Byng Memorial Trophy (skill/sportsmanship)
April 22 – Calder Memorial Trophy (top rookie)
Friday, April 23 -
James Norris Memorial Trophy (top defenseman)
Monday, April 26 – Bill
Masterton Memorial Trophy (perseverance and dedication to hockey)
April 27 – NHL Foundation Player Award (contributions to charitable
Wednesday, April 28 – Jack Adams Award (top head coach)
April 29 – Hart Memorial Trophy (MVP)
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)