Apr 23, 2010, 12:05 PM EST
We have our finalists for the first of the NHL awards, which will be
announced one award at a time over the next two weeks at Noon EST.
Here are the Norris Trophy finalists, given to the NHL’s best
defenseman who “demonstrates throughout the season the greatest
all-round ability in the position”. The award is voted on by the
Professional Hockey Writers Association.
Mike Green, Washington Capitals - 75 GP, 19 G, 57 A,
76 Points, +39, 54 PIM
Drew Doughty, Los Angeles Kings - 82 GP, 16 G, 43 A,
59 Points, +20, 54 PIM
Duncan Keith, Chicago Blackhawks - 82 GP, 14 G, 55
A, 69 Points, +21, 51 PIM
My pick: At the end of the regular season, I firmly believed this was
Mike Green’s award to lose. His defensive liabilities have been
overblown and this season I felt that he really started to balance out
as a defenseman. He’ll always be an incredibly talented offensive
player, and throughout the season it was tough to find a more complete
defenseman in the NHL this past season.
It’s a good thing the award is voted on before the playoffs.
Doughty has been nothing but impressive, and if he doesn’t win the
award this year he’ll have plenty of Norris Trophies on his mantle in
the coming years. He’s just 20 years old, but he’s becoming the most
dynamic and exciting defenseman to watch in the NHL.
important to note that Nicklas Lidstrom was not a finalist after being
on this list in 10 of the past 11 seasons.
The 2010 NHL Awards will be broadcast live from the Pearl Concert
Theater inside the Palms Hotel Las Vegas on June 23, 2010, on VERSUS in
the United States and CBC in Canada.
The schedule for the award nomination announcements:
Monday, April 19 – Vezina Trophy (top goaltender)
April 20 – Frank J. Selke Trophy (top defensive forward)
April 21 – Lady Byng Memorial Trophy (skill/sportsmanship)
April 22 – Calder Memorial Trophy (top rookie)
Friday, April 23 –
James Norris Memorial Trophy (top defenseman)
Monday, April 26 – Bill
Masterton Memorial Trophy (perseverance and dedication to hockey)
April 27 – NHL Foundation Player Award (contributions to charitable
Wednesday, April 28 – Jack Adams Award (top head coach)
April 29 – Hart Memorial Trophy (MVP)
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 36
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)