Apr 23, 2010, 12:05 PM EDT
We have our finalists for the first of the NHL awards, which will be
announced one award at a time over the next two weeks at Noon EST.
Here are the Norris Trophy finalists, given to the NHL’s best
defenseman who “demonstrates throughout the season the greatest
all-round ability in the position”. The award is voted on by the
Professional Hockey Writers Association.
Mike Green, Washington Capitals – 75 GP, 19 G, 57 A,
76 Points, +39, 54 PIM
Drew Doughty, Los Angeles Kings – 82 GP, 16 G, 43 A,
59 Points, +20, 54 PIM
Duncan Keith, Chicago Blackhawks – 82 GP, 14 G, 55
A, 69 Points, +21, 51 PIM
My pick: At the end of the regular season, I firmly believed this was
Mike Green’s award to lose. His defensive liabilities have been
overblown and this season I felt that he really started to balance out
as a defenseman. He’ll always be an incredibly talented offensive
player, and throughout the season it was tough to find a more complete
defenseman in the NHL this past season.
It’s a good thing the award is voted on before the playoffs.
Doughty has been nothing but impressive, and if he doesn’t win the
award this year he’ll have plenty of Norris Trophies on his mantle in
the coming years. He’s just 20 years old, but he’s becoming the most
dynamic and exciting defenseman to watch in the NHL.
important to note that Nicklas Lidstrom was not a finalist after being
on this list in 10 of the past 11 seasons.
The 2010 NHL Awards will be broadcast live from the Pearl Concert
Theater inside the Palms Hotel Las Vegas on June 23, 2010, on VERSUS in
the United States and CBC in Canada.
The schedule for the award nomination announcements:
Monday, April 19 – Vezina Trophy (top goaltender)
April 20 – Frank J. Selke Trophy (top defensive forward)
April 21 – Lady Byng Memorial Trophy (skill/sportsmanship)
April 22 – Calder Memorial Trophy (top rookie)
Friday, April 23 –
James Norris Memorial Trophy (top defenseman)
Monday, April 26 – Bill
Masterton Memorial Trophy (perseverance and dedication to hockey)
April 27 – NHL Foundation Player Award (contributions to charitable
Wednesday, April 28 – Jack Adams Award (top head coach)
April 29 – Hart Memorial Trophy (MVP)
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 15
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 26
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)