Apr 23, 2010, 1:11 AM EST
It was the game that wouldn’t end. It just went on and on my friend.
Good, now that I’ve got that in your head for the foreseeable future (you’re welcome, by the way) we can tell you that the game-winning goal in the Game 5 tilt between Ottawa and Pittsburgh was scored by someone that just about no one had in their overtime scoring pool.
Yes, that was defenseman Matt Carkner with the game-winning goal and yes, that was the world’s most infamous Penguin Matt Cooke who the shot deflected off of past Marc-Andre Fleury to give Ottawa the win in Game 5. For the Sens, they live to fight another day and they’ve got a little bit of mojo working their way after not backing down in the third period when Sidney Crosby scored to make it 3-2. Peter Regin came right back for the Senators and continued his stellar postseason play tying the game up at 3-3. Pascal Leclaire stopped 56 shots to earn the victory. The series heads back to Ottawa for Game 6 on Saturday night.
Meanwhile in San Jose, the youth lead the charge and Evgeni Nabokov kept the Colorado Avalanche at bay in a 5-0 shutout victory to give the Sharks a 3-2 series lead. Rookie Logan Couture scored twice and fellow rookie Dwight Helminen added another goal as the Sharks rolled over the Avs and chased the playoffs hottest netminder Craig Anderson in the process. Patrick Marleau scored his first goal of the playoffs and Joe Pavelski added his third of the playoffs in the rout. Nabokov stopped 28 shots in the shutout. Game 6 will be Saturday night in Denver.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 1
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 6
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 18
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11