Apr 23, 2010, 1:11 AM EDT
It was the game that wouldn’t end. It just went on and on my friend.
Good, now that I’ve got that in your head for the foreseeable future (you’re welcome, by the way) we can tell you that the game-winning goal in the Game 5 tilt between Ottawa and Pittsburgh was scored by someone that just about no one had in their overtime scoring pool.
Yes, that was defenseman Matt Carkner with the game-winning goal and yes, that was the world’s most infamous Penguin Matt Cooke who the shot deflected off of past Marc-Andre Fleury to give Ottawa the win in Game 5. For the Sens, they live to fight another day and they’ve got a little bit of mojo working their way after not backing down in the third period when Sidney Crosby scored to make it 3-2. Peter Regin came right back for the Senators and continued his stellar postseason play tying the game up at 3-3. Pascal Leclaire stopped 56 shots to earn the victory. The series heads back to Ottawa for Game 6 on Saturday night.
Meanwhile in San Jose, the youth lead the charge and Evgeni Nabokov kept the Colorado Avalanche at bay in a 5-0 shutout victory to give the Sharks a 3-2 series lead. Rookie Logan Couture scored twice and fellow rookie Dwight Helminen added another goal as the Sharks rolled over the Avs and chased the playoffs hottest netminder Craig Anderson in the process. Patrick Marleau scored his first goal of the playoffs and Joe Pavelski added his third of the playoffs in the rout. Nabokov stopped 28 shots in the shutout. Game 6 will be Saturday night in Denver.
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 0
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 3
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30