Apr 23, 2010, 1:11 AM EDT
It was the game that wouldn’t end. It just went on and on my friend.
Good, now that I’ve got that in your head for the foreseeable future (you’re welcome, by the way) we can tell you that the game-winning goal in the Game 5 tilt between Ottawa and Pittsburgh was scored by someone that just about no one had in their overtime scoring pool.
Yes, that was defenseman Matt Carkner with the game-winning goal and yes, that was the world’s most infamous Penguin Matt Cooke who the shot deflected off of past Marc-Andre Fleury to give Ottawa the win in Game 5. For the Sens, they live to fight another day and they’ve got a little bit of mojo working their way after not backing down in the third period when Sidney Crosby scored to make it 3-2. Peter Regin came right back for the Senators and continued his stellar postseason play tying the game up at 3-3. Pascal Leclaire stopped 56 shots to earn the victory. The series heads back to Ottawa for Game 6 on Saturday night.
Meanwhile in San Jose, the youth lead the charge and Evgeni Nabokov kept the Colorado Avalanche at bay in a 5-0 shutout victory to give the Sharks a 3-2 series lead. Rookie Logan Couture scored twice and fellow rookie Dwight Helminen added another goal as the Sharks rolled over the Avs and chased the playoffs hottest netminder Craig Anderson in the process. Patrick Marleau scored his first goal of the playoffs and Joe Pavelski added his third of the playoffs in the rout. Nabokov stopped 28 shots in the shutout. Game 6 will be Saturday night in Denver.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)