Apr 23, 2010, 11:01 PM EDT
Through the first period of the two late games, the Red Wings have a 1-0 lead in Phoenix while the Vancouver Canucks are up 2-1 at home.
For the Red Wings-Coyotes game, Detroit’s been controlling most of the play so far. Ilya Bryzgalov is currently 11-for-12 while Jimmy Howard only had to make six saves in the first period. A big part of that has been penalties, though, as the Coyotes took three while the Red Wings only took one. Now it’s easy to say that the Coyotes need to “step it up” but they probably like the slower pace of the game compared to the back-and-for affair of Game 2. They just need to stop being sloppy and get back in the game.
We have a typically hard-fought game in Vancouver. Steve Bernier scored after a Kyle Wellwood shot missed yet created a fat bounce off the boards. Alex Edler currently has the go-ahead goal while Michal Handzus scored a powerplay goal thanks to an odd break when he was trying to pass to Anze Kopitar.
If these two series have given us any indication, there should be some wild moments in the next two periods. Stay tuned.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (98)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)