Apr 23, 2010, 11:01 PM EST
Through the first period of the two late games, the Red Wings have a 1-0 lead in Phoenix while the Vancouver Canucks are up 2-1 at home.
For the Red Wings-Coyotes game, Detroit’s been controlling most of the play so far. Ilya Bryzgalov is currently 11-for-12 while Jimmy Howard only had to make six saves in the first period. A big part of that has been penalties, though, as the Coyotes took three while the Red Wings only took one. Now it’s easy to say that the Coyotes need to “step it up” but they probably like the slower pace of the game compared to the back-and-for affair of Game 2. They just need to stop being sloppy and get back in the game.
We have a typically hard-fought game in Vancouver. Steve Bernier scored after a Kyle Wellwood shot missed yet created a fat bounce off the boards. Alex Edler currently has the go-ahead goal while Michal Handzus scored a powerplay goal thanks to an odd break when he was trying to pass to Anze Kopitar.
If these two series have given us any indication, there should be some wild moments in the next two periods. Stay tuned.
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 13
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 2
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 15
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)