Apr 23, 2010, 11:01 PM EDT
Through the first period of the two late games, the Red Wings have a 1-0 lead in Phoenix while the Vancouver Canucks are up 2-1 at home.
For the Red Wings-Coyotes game, Detroit’s been controlling most of the play so far. Ilya Bryzgalov is currently 11-for-12 while Jimmy Howard only had to make six saves in the first period. A big part of that has been penalties, though, as the Coyotes took three while the Red Wings only took one. Now it’s easy to say that the Coyotes need to “step it up” but they probably like the slower pace of the game compared to the back-and-for affair of Game 2. They just need to stop being sloppy and get back in the game.
We have a typically hard-fought game in Vancouver. Steve Bernier scored after a Kyle Wellwood shot missed yet created a fat bounce off the boards. Alex Edler currently has the go-ahead goal while Michal Handzus scored a powerplay goal thanks to an odd break when he was trying to pass to Anze Kopitar.
If these two series have given us any indication, there should be some wild moments in the next two periods. Stay tuned.
- Report: Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 4
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 9
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 2
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 23
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 104
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (104)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)