Apr 23, 2010, 11:01 PM EDT
Through the first period of the two late games, the Red Wings have a 1-0 lead in Phoenix while the Vancouver Canucks are up 2-1 at home.
For the Red Wings-Coyotes game, Detroit’s been controlling most of the play so far. Ilya Bryzgalov is currently 11-for-12 while Jimmy Howard only had to make six saves in the first period. A big part of that has been penalties, though, as the Coyotes took three while the Red Wings only took one. Now it’s easy to say that the Coyotes need to “step it up” but they probably like the slower pace of the game compared to the back-and-for affair of Game 2. They just need to stop being sloppy and get back in the game.
We have a typically hard-fought game in Vancouver. Steve Bernier scored after a Kyle Wellwood shot missed yet created a fat bounce off the boards. Alex Edler currently has the go-ahead goal while Michal Handzus scored a powerplay goal thanks to an odd break when he was trying to pass to Anze Kopitar.
If these two series have given us any indication, there should be some wild moments in the next two periods. Stay tuned.
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 8
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 4
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 12
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 28
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)