Apr 23, 2010, 11:01 PM EST
Through the first period of the two late games, the Red Wings have a 1-0 lead in Phoenix while the Vancouver Canucks are up 2-1 at home.
For the Red Wings-Coyotes game, Detroit’s been controlling most of the play so far. Ilya Bryzgalov is currently 11-for-12 while Jimmy Howard only had to make six saves in the first period. A big part of that has been penalties, though, as the Coyotes took three while the Red Wings only took one. Now it’s easy to say that the Coyotes need to “step it up” but they probably like the slower pace of the game compared to the back-and-for affair of Game 2. They just need to stop being sloppy and get back in the game.
We have a typically hard-fought game in Vancouver. Steve Bernier scored after a Kyle Wellwood shot missed yet created a fat bounce off the boards. Alex Edler currently has the go-ahead goal while Michal Handzus scored a powerplay goal thanks to an odd break when he was trying to pass to Anze Kopitar.
If these two series have given us any indication, there should be some wild moments in the next two periods. Stay tuned.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 20
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 10
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 16
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 13
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 10
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4