Apr 23, 2010, 11:30 PM EDT
Here are two stories of some note.
Jordan Tootoo needs stitches too too
Ian Laperriere received a lot of attention for his ghastly facial injury after taking a shot to the face, but he’s not the only one that received the old baseball stitching treatment. You know things are bad when you consult a plastic surgeon (although usually things are bad because you have seriously low self esteem). The former beau of Kellie Pickler needed a bunch of stitches after last night’s game against Chicago.
Nashville right wing Jordin Tootoo, who was hit in the face by a deflected puck in Chicago’s 3-0 win Thursday night, needed about 45 stitches to close the wound. He couldn’t practice Friday and was meeting with a plastic surgeon, but hopes to play Saturday.
Sidney Crosby awarded assist after the fact
Upon further review, playoff points leader Sidney Crosby has 14 points in five games since what was previously said to be Bill Guerin’s assist was eventually awarded to him.
Sidney Crosby is on such a hot streak, he’s picking up points even on days the Pittsburgh Penguins don’t play.
Crosby was retroactively awarded an assist Friday by the NHL on Kris Letang’s goal during the first period of Pittsburgh’s 4-3, three-overtime playoff loss to Ottawa on Thursday night. Bill Guerin lost the assist that was awarded to Crosby.
The scoring change gives Crosby 14 points in five playoff games, the most he has scored in his 10 career playoff series.
That 14 point tear is one more than he had in the epic 7-game series last year against the Washington Capitals. The Penguins will need Crosby to stay hot, though, after the team suffered a rough triple-OT loss to the Ottawa Senators.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)